Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Folders for Worksheets in Navigator

derekjackson
Enthusiast
Hi, in some large projects we can end with 40+ worksheets, referencing all sorts of info. It would be really helpful to be able to group them, or organise them in subfolders much like you can do with Layouts.
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Ottenstein
derekjackson wrote:
Hi, in some large projects we can end with 40+ worksheets, referencing all sorts of info. It would be really helpful to be able to group them, or organise them in subfolders much like you can do with Layouts.

It sounds like you're either not understanding the difference between the Project Map (first Navigator tab) and the View Map (second tab) ... or you are using a Clone folder for your Worksheets.

The Project Map is grouped by viewpoints. All worksheets will be grouped together, as they are the same type of view.

If you clone that folder, then indeed, you will see all worksheets grouped together in your View Map. Personally (and this is my personal preference) - I NEVER use clone folders because they never organize by views the way I want. Even with Stories, there are stories that I do not want in my View Map.

Simply create whatever folders you want in your View Map and drag your Worksheets viewpoints into them (with the appropriate View settings defined). The easiest way to do this organization is to not use the pop-up or the docked Navigator, but instead to use the double-paneled Organizer palette, which lets you see two tabs of the Navigator at the same time:

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/76325/

PS Just checked out your site - awesome matte painting / illustration! The best I've ever seen in this community.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
derekjackson
Enthusiast
Thanks Karl, and thanks for the kind words on the matte painting

In terms of the worksheets, we understand the difference between the Project map and View map. But many of us don't bother setting up Views for Worksheets, as they're simply seen as a place to store imported surveys and the like.

So what would be useful for us would be a folder structure in the Project Map - simply to stop large amounts of items becoming long lists.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Derek,

Your post got me thinking a bit and I now think folders in the Project Map in general would be a good thing. One of the reason is the one stated by you: better organization capabilities, even in the Project Map. With ever larger projects this could be useful.
The other point would be related to Clone Folders mentioned by Karl. If we had folders in the Project Map, then we could Clone a whole Viewpoint Folder, or a folder within it. For example, if we had folders in the Worksheets Viewpoint folder in the Project Map, then we could Clone the whole Worksheets Viewpoint folder or only a folder within it. This is something that I always thought would be useful because in many cases I did not want to include all Viewpoints of a Viewpoint type in a Cloned Folder. With folders in Project Map we could even organize Viewpoints so that we can clone of those Viewpoint of a Viewpoint type that we want.

You could make a wish about this so we can vote on it.
If you do, please post its link here.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
derekjackson
Enthusiast
Glad I got you thinking!

Wish post here:
https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=62308