BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Foundation on its own story?

Pete
Newcomer
Now that I'm setting up a new template for AC10, the question of location for foundation elements once again arises.

Through AC8.1 my foundation was on a story below the basement. I had to copy, paste to the basement story, and explode the foundation walls that I wanted to show with basement walls.

In AC9, various layer combinations allowed the foundation walls to be on the same story as basement walls, but still needed some tweaking.

Now in AC10 we have multi-story walls and I am scratching my head again. What are others doing?
Pete Read
ArchiCAD 12; Artlantis Studio 2
MacBook Pro 2.4 Core2Duo, 2GB, OSX(10.5) and XPpro(SP3)
8 REPLIES 8
TomWaltz
Participant
Pete wrote:
Now that I'm setting up a new template for AC10, the question of location for foundation elements once again arises.

Through AC8.1 my foundation was on a story below the basement. I had to copy, paste to the basement story, and explode the foundation walls that I wanted to show with basement walls.

In AC9, various layer combinations allowed the foundation walls to be on the same story as basement walls, but still needed some tweaking.

Now in AC10 we have multi-story walls and I am scratching my head again. What are others doing?
Why would you copy/explode your footings? Are they walls? I found a slab set to "Show one story up" would behave better.
Tom Waltz
Pete
Newcomer
Tom,
I was always tempted to use a slab for foundation walls so I could use the level dimension tool on them, but I found it time consuming trying to model my walls using slabs. Maybe there is an efficient technique for this?

My "footings" under the foundation walls have always been slabs but I don't need to show them on the basement plan.

It seems, in AC10, that some are using the new custom wall profile to model foundations that include a footing, wall, sill, brick ledge, etc.. Is this productive?

Thanks,
Pete Read
ArchiCAD 12; Artlantis Studio 2
MacBook Pro 2.4 Core2Duo, 2GB, OSX(10.5) and XPpro(SP3)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Pete wrote:
It seems, in AC10, that some are using the new custom wall profile to model foundations that include a footing, wall, sill, brick ledge, etc.. Is this productive?

Thanks,
I think this is a great application for the profile wall tool and I have a footing, stem-wall, mud sill profile I have been using on a couple of project. I would use slabs for foundations as well primarily for the level dimension tool. I hope soon Graphisoft will give us "gravity" for walls which will allow the level dimension to be used with walls. It is great for those sloped sites with stepped foundations....
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everybody.
Now about this stepped stem wall situation....
First I live in a county (Santa Cruz, Ca.) that has more unlevel ground
than level headed people,(or so it seems some days, like yesterday).

Anyway, although I'm new at AC, I'm a general contractor/designer
who has built more unlevel-ground home/remodel foundations than I wish I had.
And now that I'm on the path to bending virtual nails instead of real ones,
I'd like to see a stem wall foundation tool that has stepped stem walls show up more like they really are built &&&. (this is for anybody at GS).
I know this must be a hard problem to fix, and I'm sure somebody
in the back room of GS, has an idea......? (You could get a promotion).
It's one of the areas I've concentrated on and have faked them in, but
is too time consuming, yet I think it would help plans get through
the structural review process quicker. We have tight earthquake
standards here.
logan
Anonymous
Not applicable
logandesigns

The CadImage Accessory pack does this pretty well. You set up your various foundation "profiles" and once you have assigned the object to your floor slab you can edit each side of the slab to give it the correct profile. If you have stepped foundations, just have profiles of varying heights, add a node to your slab edge where the height changes, and assign profiles accordingly.
I have only recently started using this tool, but it seems well worth the cost* just for foundations, but does so much more (roof accessories, wall accessories). I have yet to use it on AC10, but am sure it will be just as effective.

*not much for you guys, even less for NZ users.
Anonymous
Not applicable
s2art wrote:
logandesigns

If you have stepped foundations, just have profiles of varying heights, add a node to your slab edge where the height changes, and assign profiles accordingly.
Could describe this in more detail? Im not sure what you mean "add a node" and change the profile. Do you mean multiple profiles can be assigned to the same foundation object? A little clarity would be helpful Thanks!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Lindsay

(LINZ = Land Information New Zealand )

Yes, multiple foundation profiles can be used on a single object. Add a node by selecting the slab, use the pet pallette on an edge to insert a new point along that edge. Note that if you do this to a slab that already has a foundation accessory connected to it you may have to use the "edit edges" function in the tool to reassign profiles that occur after the added node point.

Hope this makes sense.
Anonymous
Not applicable
s2art wrote:
Lindsay

(LINZ = Land Information New Zealand )

Yes, multiple foundation profiles can be used on a single object. Add a node by selecting the slab, use the pet pallette on an edge to insert a new point along that edge. Note that if you do this to a slab that already has a foundation accessory connected to it you may have to use the "edit edges" function in the tool to reassign profiles that occur after the added node point.

Hope this makes sense.
Wow! Impressive! Thanks! This saves me so much time! (So I have a government department named after me in NZ? Nice.)
Learn and get certified!