BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Free-form modeling for ARCHICAD

Mjules
Mentor
How could I realize the enclosed waffle system using PARAM-O? Please let me know!
Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
Asus | 64 GB RAM | Windows 11
30 REPLIES 30
Karl Ottenstein
Mjules wrote:
How could I realize the enclosed waffle system using PARAM-O? Please let me know!
That looks like a job for Grasshopper - not just because of the complex form, but because it is an actual building system that you want constructed from building elements, materials, and properly classified. It isn't really a library part, is it?
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Mjules
Mentor
Yes, it's about a building system, and this is the path that should be taken with PARAM-O. It ought to be designed to draw building systems instead of objects. Shell combined with Curtain Wall can also do the job, but it would be more satisfying to use just one tool in ArchiCAD like Grasshopper to achieve that. Following in Grasshopper's footsteps with PARAM-O will give us great satisfaction as ArchiCAD users.
Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
Karl Ottenstein
Mjules wrote:
Yes, it's about a building system, and this is the path that should be taken with PARAM-O. It ought to be designed to draw building systems instead of objects. Shell combined with Curtain Wall can also do the job, but it would be more satisfying to use just one tool in ArchiCAD like Grasshopper to achieve that. Following in Grasshopper's footsteps with PARAM-O will give us great satisfaction as ArchiCAD users.
That's asking for an entirely different product... which is what the Grasshopper connection is.

PARAM-O is 100% GDL / library part based. It's purpose is to allow normal users to create parametric library parts graphically, without coding. Grasshopper, on the other hand, does NOT create library parts. Each has a distinct function at completely different levels of building modeling.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Mjules
Mentor
I only need to use ArchiCAD for whatever architectural design without any other editors, plug-in, or software. That's my point, and I hope so one day!
Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
jl_lt
Ace
Hi Mr Jules, i understand what you say, but my take is different tools for different jobs as Mr Ottenstein suggests. Asking one single software to handle all possible architectural and engineering outcomes in a profession as vast as Architecture and structural engineering would be too much i think.

Having said that, i also would like that PARAM-O evolved over time to rival and eventually substitute the grasshopper connection and can be extrapolated to desingning whole buildings and not just objects; but with the level of improvement Rhino shows i seriously doubt it will happen.
Mjules
Mentor
Jl_lt,

It's counterproductive to buy all of the architectural software on earth.
Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
Marc H
Advisor
I was just thinking, isn’t that what we most often do as architects - integrate dissimilar and diverse elements and systems together and create a synergy? And don't we do that because of the unique value each of these components bring to the building? I see Archicad that way. In fact, it’s ability to extend fairly fluidly is one reason why I chose it as a platform and continue to invest in it.
“The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.” - Abraham Lincoln

AC27 USA on 16” 2019 MBP (2.4GHz i9 8-Core, 32GB DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8G GDDR5, 500GB SSD, T3s, Trackpad use) running Sonoma OS + extended w/ (2) 32" ASUS ProArt PAU32C (4K) Monitors
runxel
Legend
Marc, you're totally spot on.
If you try to cram every bit of software into a tiny space, well, then you land at Revit. A piece of software that is notoriously hard to grok, and even harder to maintain sanity in.
Graphisoft has realized early on, that they can't win the game this way. That's why GS has always been on the forefront of OpenBIM.

In the linux world there is one principle: Do one thing, and do it right.
Grasshopper does node-based editing of geometry better than anyone else. I think it is great to have the possibility. GS just needs to embrace it more – not incorporate it.
In the end it's not about "buying all of the architectural software on earth". You buy that, what you need. And there are many architects out there, who rather not use Grasshopper-like interfaces and design methods. So why impose your working methods on others? 🙂
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Mjules
Mentor
Runxel,

The best way to help Graphisoft get out from its comfort zone with ArchiCAD is to criticize it. As such, the spirit of balance is important. It is not enough to tell that ArchiCAD is perfect. We must also look at its limits in terms of architectural design. Improving its limits will help us have one of the best architectural software in the future.

As ArchiCAD users, we need to be able to meet the demands of organic architecture as well on the market.
Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
Learn and get certified!