BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

From Floor Slabs to Floor Framing

Anonymous
Not applicable
When I start designing a house, I just put in thick floor slabs while the shape and size of the building are in flux. I typically run the floor slabs to the outside, so exterior walls start and end at the floor slabs. From the beginning I design with composite walls so I can later dimension to the cores of wood walls (builders love the framing layout plans).

Later as the design is developed I also create floor framing plans for the engineer and builder. At that point it would be better to show the individual floor joists and beams, sub floor, finish floor and ceiling below, especially in section drawings. What's the best way to make this transition?

Cathy Roha
Berkeley, CA (US wood-framing conventions)
AC 8.0 (waiting for 8.1), Win XP
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
At that point it would be better to show the individual floor joists and beams, sub floor, finish floor and ceiling below, especially in section drawings. What's the best way to make this transition?

I make my floor slabs height equal to the framing members height plus the subflooring in thickness. This is located on the story with the walls that sit on top this floor. I then draw framing members on the story below with the beam tool. They are at the proper height in plan so when you take a section they appear inside of the floor slab. Having the joists on the story below, the floor joist now appear on top of the walls they sit on so you can see what is supporting them. Also I draw beams in the walls above doors and windows below the floor joists so they can be labeled and sized. They also appear correctly in section.
With the way AC starts story heights with the bottom on the walls and uses gravity to the slabs, the slabs need to be on that story. But when you are showing framing you really want it on the story below to place it with all walls it is being framed on top of. Of course, I use separate layers for all the joists and beams so they can toggle off when you just want to see a floor plan.
I will try the Trust Joist objects soon so a TJI floor will section properly.
Karl Ottenstein
Hari wrote:
But when you are showing framing you really want it on the story below to place it with all walls it is being framed on top of. Of course, I use separate layers for all the joists and beams so they can toggle off when you just want to see a floor plan.
Good to see you on the 'new' list, Hari Har.

I agree and use the same method.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!