Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Front Porch Example

JaredBanks
Mentor

Building this front porch using the Railing Tool, segmented Columns, and one really complicated segmented Beam is a great way to demonstrate the power of Archicad and learn more about tools you should be using everyday. Hope you enjoy the video:

http://www.shoegnome.com/2022/06/26/front-porch-case-study-in-Archicad-25/

Front Porch Stair_2022.png

Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
6 REPLIES 6
DGSketcher
Legend

@JaredBanks Good demo! The beam / column tool is amazingly flexible. Now if we could just get free rotation in 3D without the 89 degree limit.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Thanks. Glad you liked it.

Yes full rotation would be so nice. The 90 degree limit is silly. It'd be great if Archicad would ask, when we get to 90 degrees, "it looks like you want this beam to be a column; would you like me to change its element type?"

Beams and Columns should be one tool.

Windows and Doors should be one tool.

Roofs and Slabs should be one tool.

Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Actually. Beams should be roofs and slabs as well and even walls and shells. Or is it the other way around? GS should focus less on what an geometry is and more on how they are created - realising the full potential of already implemented functionalities. I mean - a polygonal opening in a slanted plane (roof) and a polygonal shaped vertical plane (wall)! But of course it doesn't make sense to put a window in a beam - so good that we can't do that...

thesleepofreason_3-1656450759328.png

Agreed. It'd be nice if type was just a matter of classification and not tool.

I'm still waiting for openings in roofs. That is so needed. Create opening from selection to cut holes in roofs!!!! Yes please.

Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

KristyConlon
Participant

Nice, I like it too 🙂

Thanks for sharing. Are you enrolled in college? You may find the finest essay writing service at https://writinguniverse.com/best-essay-writing-service/ if you're looking for a free one. The ideal forum for all pupils is this website. because students may download free essay writing samples from this post.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar

Nice clean, yet detailed, model, Jared!

Random tip for beams as other fancy elements: sometimes it helps if you rotate your complex profile 90° and then rotate the beam itself 90° as well (maybe one of them needs to be 270°): this way you can use the angled beam ends in a different direction to make perfect joints.

Same thing goes for columns.

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5