Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Front and Side View of an GDL object.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi this is my first post in the community.

I'm trying to find how to change the 2D FRONT AND SIDE VIEW of a GDL object that I made. By now
it shows just a bunch of lines that from my 3D model.

I've been able to change the PLAN view through 2D Symbol option but I cannot find how to do it in the FRONT or SIDE views.

I'm not used to work with scripts so if this is the only way to do it could you tell it to me "step by step".

Thank you so much.

PD: My apologies me if I write in the wrong section
8 REPLIES 8
The fastest:
1.Change to morph
2.Change all unwanted edges to the last option that does not break the surface
3.Save it back as object.

Piotr
felcunha
Expert
You can't have 2D FRONT and SIDE views of an object.
All you can is to have plan views (or 2D) and 3D views, which suppose you'll insert your object directly into the section you want it to be shown.
Otherwise your section/elevation representation will always be the real 3D.
But a workaround could being able to select wich 2D view (PLAN, SIDE, FRONT) of your object you want to show in every view (since it will be a 2D object that will by definition only be present in the view you've inserted).
You can do it using GDL scripts, but it's not easy to do for beginners...
Felipe Ribeiro Cunha

AC 26, macOS Monterey
Anonymous
Not applicable
felcunha wrote:
You can't have 2D FRONT and SIDE views of an object.
All you can is to have plan views (or 2D) and 3D views, which suppose you'll insert your object directly into the section you want it to be shown.
Otherwise your section/elevation representation will always be the real 3D.
But a workaround could being able to select wich 2D view (PLAN, SIDE, FRONT) of your object you want to show in every view (since it will be a 2D object that will by definition only be present in the view you've inserted).
You can do it using GDL scripts, but it's not easy to do for beginners...
Thanks. Any idea where can I find someone explaining it?

Appreciate it.
Lingwisyer
Guru
Piotr's solution should work for you, unless the object is parametric.

Piotr wrote:
The fastest:
1.Change to morph
2.Change all unwanted edges to the last option that does not break the surface
3.Save it back as object.

Piotr

If it is parametric, you will have to find the sections within the script that draw the offending parts and change their Status Code so that the edges only display depending on the view.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Barry Kelly
To explain it a little more.
The plan view is generated from the 2D symbol view which you can edit as you have discovered.
Unless there is a 2D script - then it will use that script and not the 2D symbol.

The front and side views are generated from the 3D model which is generated from the 3D script.
So you must edit the script to make any changes.
I would be guessing that your 3D script is a lot of VERT, EDGE & PGON commands which will make it very difficult to edit by hand.

So the best option as suggested before is to convert it into a morph.
Use the morph settings to hide the edges and than save it back as an object (with a new name).
You may need to adjust the 2D symbol again - or you can copy and paste it from your original object (so long as you didn't save it with the same name).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok. Thank you all for your replies. They really helped me. I managed the solution by changing the Morph settings.

By the way, I am interested in expanding my knowledge in 3D Scripts. I've searched through the forum and I found this post.

It talks about using the "Fragment" command in 2D scripts in order to show different views.

I was guessing if there was something similar in 3D scripts.

Maybe there is a "Step by step" guide or something similar in order to assign custom 2D draws using 3D scrpits and I'm not able to find it.

Really apreciate your help. Thank you all.
Barry Kelly
The FRAGMENT2 command allows you to access the 'layers' in the 2D symbol view.
When in the 2D symbol, press CTRL+L and you will see the layer list - there are 16 layers.
You can draw in these layers and use them from your 2D script.

There is nothing like this in 3D.
What you have scripted is what you will see in 3D.

There is a PROJECT2 command for use in the 2D script that allows you to get front, side rear, isometric, etc., views of the 3D model.
2 problems with this.
It simply creates a '2D view' from the 3D script - so you will still see all of the triangulation lines if they are there.
And being in the 2D script will mean that you have to place this object in each section, elevation, detail, etc., that you want to see it in. You will effectively be placing a 2D object in each view.
Actually a 3rd problem, you will need separate objects for each view (front, side, back, etc.) or a parameter in the object that will allow you to change the view generated.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you very much Barry.