Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.
SOLVED!

【GDL】Adding Handles/Knobs to Custom Doors

Emil Meijer
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

just started working with ArchiCAD a few weeks back, and currently need some help when it comes to designing custom doors.

I've designed my custom door and frame (via the slab tool) and made it into a new Door Library Part without any problems,
but now I also wish to add a handle/knob too the door (similar to how the default door lets you change handles).

Are there any tips on how to link a newly made custom door to ArchiCAD's default library of handles?
I've tried copy-pasting some of the parameters from the default doors, but to no avail.

Any ideas?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly
You could use a standard Archicad door frame object and just create your own custom door panel for it.
That should allow you to keep using all of the standard door frame options, including the handle type.
This should work so long as you don't need a custom frame as well.

Or you could model the handles and save it as a part of your custom door and frame - you just won't be able to change them.

Or as Ling has suggested you will need to get into a bit of GDL and CALL the door handle object in.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Lingwisyer
Guru
With all of this breaking down into customisable sub-elements ArchiCAD has done recently, you would think it would be pretty easy to do custom frames based off extruded profiles.

In regards to "copy-pasting" from the default parts, you would most likely need to find the call scripts related to the door handle, which may or may not require multiple levels of sub-elements.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Solution
Barry Kelly
You could use a standard Archicad door frame object and just create your own custom door panel for it.
That should allow you to keep using all of the standard door frame options, including the handle type.
This should work so long as you don't need a custom frame as well.

Or you could model the handles and save it as a part of your custom door and frame - you just won't be able to change them.

Or as Ling has suggested you will need to get into a bit of GDL and CALL the door handle object in.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Emil Meijer
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Barry wrote:
You could use a standard Archicad door frame object and just create your own custom door panel for it...
You're a genius. Why did I not think about this option myself?
Thank you so much for your advice!
Lingwisyer
Guru
Quite a few of the tools now have a "Custom" option for some of their sub-elements. These are based of either one of the "Save Selection as..." options or extrusions created by the Complex Profile tool. So when it comes to customising outside of the defaults, look to see if you can use custom sub-elements instead of resorting to completely new objects as it will let you keep all the standard settings and options.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660