Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

GDL Talk - dont lose it!

The question was asked earlier about GDL Talk.

GDLTalk welcomes GDL discussion however technical, but also however elementary. Some of the most helpful GDL users on the planet are using GDLTalk. Dont let it die just because of the novelty of this new system. There is no need for monopolies!

GDLTalk is not just for GDL Headbangers, it is for newbies and all shades in between. It's a Yahoo group and the best way to get it is by daily digest.

email to:
GDLTalk-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
It would be nice if GDL talk could move out of yahoos hands so that more people can participate. I see no need for one to disclose financial information to be able to participate in a "free" forum, seems one cannot join without providing valid credit card information.
Karl Ottenstein
Jeffrey wrote:
It would be nice if GDL talk could move out of yahoos hands so that more people can participate. I see no need for one to disclose financial information to be able to participate in a "free" forum, seems one cannot join without providing valid credit card information.
This can't be true, can it? I've been a yahoo groups member for 7 years (they bought onelist, I believe it was, to create the initial yahoo groups) - in various groups - and they have no real info on me. Certainly never a credit card. They may have asked for a birth date to be sure I was over 18, but I always give some fake date in 1960 for those questions.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Dwight
Newcomer
This is starting to sound like a PayPal scam.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
To me it's apparently a Yahoo scam. Whenever I complete the registration info and submit it it comes back telling me that I forgot to fill in some info and the required info is in red and is billing and CC info that was not even requested originally. I read the user agreements and couldn't find anything pertaining to charges for the services that would require this info. I then searched in vain for a contact number/email and found none for yahoo, even a call to SBC didn't get me any answers or contact numbers.
JCovarrubias
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
I'm a part of various Yahoo groups worldwide (at least 3) that only required my email address and maybe some other info like my age group.

Strange that it should ask for your CC info - I would tread carefully ... post us AC-Talker's a screenshot (screen capture) of this apparent violation of privacy!! If it's a scam by someone, I want to be prepared when I do see it.
http://tr.graphisoftus.com/
Jeffry Covarrubias
GS US Technical Support Team Leader
P-C2D 1.86GHz/2GB w/ 256MB GeForce 8600GTS; G4 OS 10.4.10 1GHz/1GB "[that other software] is a fancy set of electronic marker pens"
GSHQfadmin
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Yahoo registration cost nothing if you select the basic membership. It comes with 4Mb mail storage, spam guard and some basic configuration possibility. The others offer greater mail space and advanced functionality but they cost some money. I assume you selected a wrong option on the initial screen...
There are a lot of scamming emails purporting to come from Paypal and asking you to visit a site and update your financial details.

Ignore! I have nothing to do with PayPal, but regularly receive invitations to update my cc details.

Similarly, some people I know, eg AC users, have now taken to sending me something like "i want to update my database, please send the following information". i delete all these, they could be a virus sending out to all people on that persons mailing list, or if they are genuine, then i know they have my details already.
>>>david
Anonymous
Not applicable
Similarly, some people I know, eg AC users, have now taken to sending me something like...
Please don't forget that anyone can fake a return address. These might not be AC users but spammers that are mis-using others' email addresses.

Spam, Viruses and especially these kind of requests to update databases are sent out very often using email addresses from privat persons without them being aware - you find out when you get an angry email from someone telling you that you have sent him/her a virus!

The same thing with paypal - they are most probably faked email addresses. I know that some of our domain names are mis-used heavily to send out spam. There is really nothing we can do about it...

Regards,
Thomas
Anonymous
Not applicable
You don't need to give out any cc information to sign up for a yahoo group. If you register/sign up for a Yahoo!ID you can uncheck the check mark "Activate Yahoo! Mail:" and enter your normal email address in the field "Alternate Email:". There is no need to create a yahoo email address to sign up for a Yahoo ID - and the so called "alternate email" is not an alternate but simply the email address the messages are sent to. This is something that often confuses users (including myself) in the beginning.

If you don't use any "real" personal information I would recommend to write down what you're using since that information is asked for if you ever forget your password.

I dislike Yahoo's advertisment flood when you visit them with a browser but somebody has to pay for the service I'm getting for free. After signing up I recommend going into your account settings to make sure your marketing preferences are set to not receive advertisement email.

Thomas