BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

GDL objects creation

bouhmidage
Advisor
Hi Guys, i'm wondering to knwo if we whould have a graphic version of gdl scripting in future ?
something like grasshopper nodes, with some nice and clean graphic nodes, with a good help inside
it seems like gdl is just for programmers, writing and writing,
this would enlarge the number of archicad objects on the web, as there will be more gdl object creators,
Also, why graphisoft doesn't enlarge or revise it's library when it releases a new verion, + 100 new objects per version is not too much as the default library is missing many objects
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects
16 REPLIES 16
bouhmidage
Advisor
nice work moonlight !
how much do you spend on modelling each object, how much difficult,
i can't understant how difficult it is, cos almost of GDl tutorials on wed are about creating 2D symbols, and very basic shapes, tables,
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects
Nader Belal
Mentor
Thank you,

But:
1. There was a lot of time that was invested in learning and reverse engineering many objects.
2. These object were made to a manufacturer, and here the context and scope is quiet different than that someone would make the object for his/herself.
3. I was limited by the info that was delivered to me by the manufacturer.
4. Compared to what I can do now, I have reached a higher level of proficiency and code optimisation.

For you:
Custom made GDL objects library for personal use, must be seen as a continuous work of development .. ie: don't try to get to perfection with each object you create for personal use, just do something that works for you, that is simple and easy to maintain (improve), and look to it again unless something is needed from that same object.

Or you can contact a professional scripter that already knows how to create these object such as myself.
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
Nader Belal
Mentor
@All

When I finished creating the object prior to final delivery to the client, the library was composed of 3 files that had all the objects.

But as an as****e reptilian revitan was the nexus between me and the client, I had to separate each model to be independent.
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
Try persuade Your client that exploding library is counter productive. (crossing fingers).
If the "atomized" version is needed use macros and call your big objects from masterscript with the needed parameters locked.
Insist on having the big objects as well in the library (for usage not only as macros)- for geek users.

(I smell not only a "revitan reptilian"... but some big "hosting player" insisting on atomizing the library)

Piotr
Nader Belal
Mentor
@Piotr Dobrowlski

My contact was an ArchiCAD user working for a revitian user that tried to secure a contact with a client that needed something that was BIM compliant and didn't understand the implications, and although I tried to deliver my message, and in fact even when I have had made a draft delivery that was 3 months late and not finished by any means,

I asked my ArchiCAD nexus to show case my work in a specific manner, next day I heard that the client was sooo impressed that had asked the Revitain team to do the same..

That was like kicking their a**es via wifi
Congrats!

Revit users hate the atomized families too...not only Archicad ones.

Atomized libraries are utilized by certain "hosting" to give producers practically unusable data of number of downloads of objects of certain building products while 10000 downloads by some students will never ever be in par with selling the real product. Illusion is sold to non-tech-marketoids they talk to, they never talk to tech guys, guess why 😉
Nader Belal
Mentor
@Piotr

I know, but I confess that I know that I was really lucky with what happened, beside and in line of your comment, you can get more accurate data from budgeting the same objects or the items that are being sold
Learn and get certified!