BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

GDL objects from manufacturars

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think architects would love to have more GDL objects. Architects believe it the manufacturars task to supply information. But have you ever asked the manufacturar if he would be willing to supply GDL objects? I guess you didn't, because you think it would not have any effect. What do you think is the best way to induce manufacturars to develop GDL objects?
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for THE question regarding the libraries.

I would love to have manuf parts etc in GDL format.

BUT, what sane manuf is going to make an object for AC9, ... , 14 ad nauseum...? the following is a quote from a GS insider regarding library part compatibility:
Second, backward compatibility is a tough issue. There is no obvious way to accomplish that. (1) Hotfixing old AC-versions to run the newest GDL is a no-go as GDL is in a strong connection with the model generator context. (2) Omitting extra parameters (providing they are coming from a newer version of GDL) would corrupt error detection and usually new parameters aren't and cannot be added at the end. (3) Omitting unknown commands is against the concept of macro calls in GDL.
I think GS has programmed itself into a corner. Now with the marketing dept calling for yearly upgrades (I just dropped out) how does a manufacturer get their GDL into every AC users hands: both old and new versions?

It has to be simple, clear and efficient for the manufacturer.

Snap
Anonymous
Not applicable
GDL is very reliable language, the oldest objects I have used are AC7 objects, but I am pretty sure, you can use older parts too.
When a manufacturar asks me to build something, I start preferably in AC12 but older is possible too. Only when a certain GDL command is not available in AC12 I start at 13 or higher (for instance, Model View Options for GDL objects only work from AC 13 and higher).

So I don't see a problem with backwards compatibility, the good thing is the upwards compatibility.

But the question was: how do you think, you can persuade the manufacturars to start with ArchiCAD objects?
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK - brainstorming...

I'd try to find how many AC users there are and then lobby for the products I use and tell the manuf," I use your product and there are 250K(?) other AC users out there." (PS I have NO idea how many AC users there are).

Maybe GS ought to try to find out the AC community's priorities for vendors/parts and start lobbying those vendors.

Anderson provided GDL parts some time ago, I haven't followed their progress. Contact them to find out how they made that decision and how they feel about it now. Their have to be other companies like Anderson.

Come to think: I don't even know how many companies already provide GDL parts.
OK, so start a database of existing GDL providers, get the AC users to become aware of them, ans start using their parts. I think making the manufacturers investment in GDL "pay off" in increased visibility to the Architect and Engineer community would be another strategy.

As a GDL scripter perhaps you could market yourself as a solution provider to getting vendors you think have a large enough presence to get "in the door" with AC users. Look at the McGraw-Hill "Sweets" site would tell you which vendors have already invested in CAD ready 2D and 3D parts. Focusing on those with 3D parts would be one start point. That's the US market, I am uninformed about other markets.

I gotta think there are only going to be so many companies interested. The company with a huge market share would be an obvious candidate as well the little guy willing to try anything, in between those extremes I dunno. So I'd begin at the extremes.

Snap
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

it may have to try to explain them that it's not just a GDL library that can use architects who are working with ArchiCAD, but it's a CAD (BIM) solution for all architects using CAD softwares.
It run in native in ArchiCAD and it can use AutoCAD users by Adapter and the other CAD users with the help of WEB Control. It's just ONE but intelligent library, and all the architects can use it.

Yes, you are right the manufacturers would like to get at all the potential users.

cheers,
gpowless
Advocate
Funny this should come up as a topic of discussion today. I just received a copy of an email from Arxx, a manufacturer of Insulating Concrete Forms (ICF) in Canada:

[excerpt] Valued ARXX Distributor,
As industry methods evolve to meet the increasing complexity and multiple requirements for information and data related to construction, sustainable design and building life cycle analysis, it’s important that ARXX leads the way with the tools necessary to make designing and building with ARXX ICFs easy and efficient.
That is why over the past few weeks we have been working to integrate our ICF product lines for use with Building Information Modeling (BIM). BIM is a very powerful tool used by design professionals on a daily basis. The new ARXX 3D models developed for BIM puts all of our ICF product information in the hands of design professionals. ....

[excerpt]All of the ARXX BIM files are available through Autodesk® Seek. Autodesk is the industry leading online source for building product information that allows design professionals to search, select and specify the best building materials for their projects. ARXX ICF products have been developed as a family of 3D details for Autodesk Revit® software versions 2009 and 2010. The RVT, DWG, DWF and DXF files are all available for download including any relevant marketing and specification materials through Autodesk Seek.

I sent them a terse letter indicating my extreme disappointment. Those who want to shout back at them can send an email to:

marketing@arxx.com
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full
Anonymous
Not applicable
@snap
listing companies who already have GDL is a good idea when the numbers are large. Unfortunately the number is quite limited, as shown in this list by Endre Ilauszky.

The McGraw-idea is worth checking out.

On my website I already have a list with 10 advantages of GDL for manufacturars. The problem is getting the manufacturars there. I don't employ numerous product managers who go out on the road and persuade manufacturars

@Endre
Do you have experience with autocad-users working with the GDL adapter?
Do you have an example of a manufacturar with the GDL web control?

@gpowless
Good idea, if every ArchiCAD user on this forum would contact Arxx, I doubt they can ignore it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
gpowless wrote:
I sent them a terse letter indicating my extreme disappointment. Those who want to shout back at them can send an email to:

marketing@arxx.com
Not terse, but done.
Brett Brown
Advocate
Master wrote:
I think architects would love to have more GDL objects. Architects believe it the manufacturars task to supply information. But have you ever asked the manufacturar if he would be willing to supply GDL objects? I guess you didn't, because you think it would not have any effect. What do you think is the best way to induce manufacturars to develop GDL objects?

Here in New Zealand we have a Company called Productspec. They have there own in house Revit and Archicad content makers. For the Company's that advertise on there site, they quote to make content for there products as well.
They also offer behind the scenes tools for these Company's to see what products are viewed the most for example. They also advise company's how many inquires they have had for there specific products and that tells the Company if the cost of content is worth it.
The Company's I have spoken with are very happy with Productspec's model so we all win one way or the other, Revit and Archicad users.
It all hinges on enquiries, so the more Archicad content inquiries will benefit Archicad.
Unfortunately for Archicad, there seems to be an Earthquake movement towards Revit in New Zealand.
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
Anonymous
Not applicable
Getting quite a few Trade Reps coming in now saying they have Revit objects / details on their websites. I try to steer them towards Archicad too, as I believe it is still more popular than Revit here (not based on any factual evidence, just my perception), but not sure what the future holds. Have downloaded a couple of things from Productspec, mostly DWG 2D details though. They don't have much Archicad 3D content yet.
Learn and get certified!