Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

GRAPHISOFT Launched GDL Center

Gergely Feher
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Dear All,

Last week we started our brand new GDL knowledge base, the GDL Center. The goal of this site is to have all of GRAPHISOFT’s GDL related contents in one place: official documents, learning materials and tips & tricks. We are also starting a forum here, where you can ask us or each other about possible solutions in GDL. This site should be the starting point of GDL developers, an easy to find solution center, where everyone can search through the existing materials, and ask for new ones.

As there is a forum on the new site, I would like to ask you to put your upcoming GDL technology related questions a to the new site in the future.

Regards,
12 REPLIES 12
Barry Kelly
Gergely wrote:
We are also starting a forum here, where you can ask us or each other about possible solutions in GDL. This site should be the starting point of GDL developers, an easy to find solution center, where everyone can search through the existing materials, and ask for new ones.

As there is a forum on the new site, I would like to ask you to put your upcoming GDL technology related questions a to the new site in the future.
Call me 'old fashioned' or 'stuck in the mud' but I much prefer this style of forum.
One that flags new posts as unread so I can see at a glance when there is something new.
Rather than looking at the post times and trying to remember just how long ago I looked at them.

Also if we make a post there I am assuming we will not get an e-mail to say someone has replied?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
David Shorter
Advisor
Barry I agree 100%
and we already have acwiki, ac-talk, ac-dev forum, ac-alpha/beta forums, gdl knowledge base... and I'm sure I'm missing more. Do we really need another one and in ANOTHER format? I know its very pretty but the current functionality of ArchiCAD Talk is adequate and at least every is familiar.

And it appears to need a new log in, actually I can't see a way to log in when I follow the link.... shouldn't it be simple?
Archicad 4.1 to 27 Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone
Anonymous
Not applicable
I wonder, could we make it a little trickier by making it a Latin (the dead language) only forum too?
David Shorter
Advisor
Found the sign up/sign in, in the banner different to this forum, Thanks KG
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone
vistasp
Advisor
I'm all for the GDL centre which should prove a most useful resource and it's great to see GS standing behind it but, like David and Barry I can't see how a separate forum is going to help. Apart from the points already raised (Barry, there is a checkbox if we want to be notified of follow-up posts by email) here are some of mine:

1. There is a huge knowledge base in the existing forum which won't be tapped by the new one.
2. The separate login is a pain. Unlike AC-talk where we can remain logged in for months, this one asks us to log in each day (unless I'm doing something wrong).
3. Can't delete posts as far as I can see.
4. Emoticons are so very tiny! Without a decent emoticons system there'll be a lot of misunderstandings.
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Barry wrote:
but I much prefer this style of forum. One that flags new posts as unread so I can see at a glance when there is something new.
+1

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Barry Kelly
There is now a "NEW" post indicator on the GDL Centre Forum.
Makes it much easier to spot the new post - although it only works if you log in with you Graphisoft account (top right corner - easy to miss).

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
David Shorter
Advisor
do you get instant notifications like this? Haven't checked even when you;re not logged in?
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone
Barry Kelly
When you make a post/reply (again you must be signed in to do that) there is a little check box you must tick to say you want to be notified of a reply.
Very easy to miss - I just made a post and realised I didn't tick it.

So yes you will be notified by e-mail just as we are for this forum even when you are not logged into it.

The annoying part is you must log I every time you open the site.
Fortunately you can tell your OS to remember the password as there seems to be no 'Remember me' or auto login for the site.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27