Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

GSM extension file

Mjules
Mentor

Hi,

Is there a new way or method to read imported .gsm exension files in Archicad 25?

Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
Asus | 64 GB RAM | Windows 11
14 REPLIES 14
DGSketcher
Legend

I am not aware of any change in AC25. Once you have imported your object you may need to click on the "Reload & Apply" in Library Manager to make it available.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Karl Ottenstein

@Mjules Could you clarify?  Are you talking about just using an individual, ordinary GDL object  (GSM) in a project?  Or are you talking about reading using add-on or API code?  This is the Developer forum and is for the latter kinds of questions.  I'll move your post if it instead concerns merely getting an ordinary object to load and be placed in a project.  Thanks.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.5, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

Karl,

After saving model as a .gsm extension file, and then try to open this .gsm file from another Archicad file, there is no 3D model because of errors. I don't know why. 

Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)

If you make new objects by selecting existing objects and "combining" them, then putting them in a new project the library with the other objects has to be loaded, too.

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»

@runxel It has been done as you mentioned.

Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
Nader Belal
Mentor

@Mjules , may be, and I say may be an error have occurred when the GSM file was created, the solution to this is to repeat the export process, and hope that this will fix your issue.

Or, you have saved the GSM in binary, and if that was true you will not be able to read it. Just repeat the process, but uncheck the binary option

A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
DGSketcher
Legend

@Mjules  How big is the model you are saving as a GSM?

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

We have found a bug with saving a model to gsm when the model uses profile attributes: the generated gsm has incorrect syntax.

As a workaround open the saved object in GDL editor and replace ind(profile, …)  statements to ind(profile_attr, …).

Péter Baksa
Software Engineer, Library as a Platform
Graphisoft SE, Budapest

@DGSketcher 92 kb.

Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)