Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.
SOLVED!

Ganged Windows in a Thick Wall

Rene Pahlavan
Enthusiast
I have a bunch of ganged windows in a exterior wall that is quite deep. The rake windows are showing from the interior better than the lower windows which each have jambs, mullions and sills that are as deep as the wall on the middle windows. Obviously not as they would be in reality. The upper rake windows are not perfect, but at least the mullion separations are not showing that deep. Anyone know how to solve this?
AC27 (Apple Silicon)

macOS Sonoma 14.1.2.

MBP M3 Max (16-inch 2023)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Rene:

Go to Window Settings > Awning Window Settings > Wall Opening > Wall Closure and set it to Solid Wall. When this is set to Stud Wall, the frame depth matches the wall, when set to Solid Wall, there will be a frame depth parameter in the Frame and Sash section. There may be other options to get the frame depth setting, but that is one.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly
Look for a setting in the window regarding the depth of the frame.
There may be an option to say 'match wall thickness'.
Otherwise I think in some windows, if you set the frame depth to zero, it will match the wall thickness.

If you can't find any such setting, tell us what object you are using, and the language version as well (USA / INT may have differences for example).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Rene Pahlavan
Enthusiast
Hi Barry--
Thanks for your help.
There does not seem to be any depth of the frame setting available with this window; nor can I see a "match wall thickness" option.
Attached is a screenshot of the window selection settings for this window =- W F Fixed AwnU 24 with the frame and sash menu showing.
AC27 (Apple Silicon)

macOS Sonoma 14.1.2.

Lingwisyer
Guru
US library shenanigans... What is a AwnU window, and what makes it a feature window?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Barry Kelly
Sorry we don't have that window in our library.
A USA user will have to help you here.

I can't even see anything like this in BIMcomponents.

Is it anything to do with the casings?
I don't think so as it definitely looks like the frame and not a casing.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Solution
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Rene:

Go to Window Settings > Awning Window Settings > Wall Opening > Wall Closure and set it to Solid Wall. When this is set to Stud Wall, the frame depth matches the wall, when set to Solid Wall, there will be a frame depth parameter in the Frame and Sash section. There may be other options to get the frame depth setting, but that is one.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Rene Pahlavan
Enthusiast
Thank you David! Solid wall allowed me adjust the frame depth in the Frame and Sash menu. Looks much better now!
AC27 (Apple Silicon)

macOS Sonoma 14.1.2.

David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Rene:

Glad to help, thanks for posting that the solution worked.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture