BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Parametric design
About Rhino & Grasshopper and PARAM-O.

Generating an extruded morph from a Polyline

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

one of my common tasks in ArchiCAD is to create morphs to measure the building volume.

There for I normally get 2D polylines in ArchiCAD on each story.

I thought that would be a job to be done with grasshopper.

So far I was able to create a morph curve in ArchiCAD with grasshopper, as it is not possible to create a morph solid from a 2D Polyline in ArchiCAD.

Is it possible to extrude this morph curve from crasshopper or do I have to do it in a diffenert way ?
4 REPLIES 4
furtonb
Advisor
Hi,

you could reference each curve, extrude or loft them (with straight sections), then plug the brep into a solid morph (that should cap it, if not, then insert a "cap holes" node inbetween). That should load back your morph, that can be either set up in Grasshopper, or unlocked and specified in AC for scheduling.
But you can measure the volume directly in GH, isn't that sufficient? In that case I would just use the connection to get them there, and do the math directly.
odv.hu | actively using: AC25-27 INT | Rhino6-8 | macOS @ apple silicon / win10 x64
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi furtonb,

thanks for your reply.
I am quite new to Rhino an Grasshopper and we have build up a lot of Lists in ArchiCAD for Quantity-Takoffs.

I hope I can figure out your instructions soon.
furtonb
Advisor
I see. In that case the fastest could be to use the magic wand on the polyline to generate a planar morph at each story, show them in 3D, and extrude them. You can use the detailed building model as a reference of course.

After you are done, group the morphs and classify them according to your scheduling needs. I'm not near a computer at the moment, but if you cannot figure this out, later I can give you an example what I mean.
odv.hu | actively using: AC25-27 INT | Rhino6-8 | macOS @ apple silicon / win10 x64
Anonymous
Not applicable
furtonb wrote:
I see. In that case the fastest could be to use the magic wand on the polyline to generate a planar morph at each story, show them in 3D, and extrude them. You can use the detailed building model as a reference of course.

After you are done, group the morphs and classify them according to your scheduling needs. I'm not near a computer at the moment, but if you cannot figure this out, later I can give you an example what I mean.
Hi furtonb,

the method you are discribing, is exactly what I am doing at the moment.
It needs four steps:
1. create a morph from a Polyline
2. extrude the morph to the story height.
3. change the surface of the top according to the schedule criterias for roof-area.
4. change the surface of the bottom according to the schedule criterias for slabs or foundationareas.

I hope a I could automate that, so that I only need to design a "permeterdesign"-line at early project phase to get the costs of the different designstudies.
Learn and get certified!