BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Getting a symbol to stretch at intervals

tsturm
Newcomer
Can anyone help with this?

I want to create a library part such as casework or brickwork which will snap at a determined interval. Snap may not be the best way to describe what I want it to do.

What I want to do is have the symbol be parameteric and stretchy so the user can change the size of the symbol as the design changes.

However, I want the symbol to then jump back to a set increment, say three inches in the example of casework.

I can make the symbol change and adjust itself based on this interval, but I can not get the overall size of the object to adjust. As I can not get the overall size to change to the interval size, the symbol is no longer stretchy. Why, because the hotspot locations are not equal to the overall dimenions. For an object to be stretchy, the outer most hotspots need to be equal to the outer most dimensions. That is why you get the dimensions showing up along with the preview image. Those dimensions are telling you the size of the actual symbol versus the dimensions in the current A and B values.

So, I want to use the inital 'A' dimension and then stretch the object to a new size. However, as I stretch the symbol out, I want it to stop at an interval of every three inches and then change the 'A' value to equal this new size to the symbol can be stretchy again.

Where I need help is getting the 'A' value to be reset to match the interval size. Can this be done?

I thought I have seen something similar with the MSA detailer's steel symbols. Am I right?
Terrence Sturm, Architect
AC 23 build
AC 24 build 5000
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Terrence,
I am not clear about exactly what you want to do but
it sounds similar to the subject of a previous thread.
Do a search with these key words <stretch in increments>
HTH
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Terrence

Use the values command in the parameter or master scripts

VALUES "A" range [3",] step 3", 3"

You can then have a object of modular size that remains stretchy after it has been placed. I think Oleg mentioned it a long time ago.
Much easier than mucking around with INT(A/3") statements which then do not stretch because the A value is different.

regards
tsturm
Newcomer
Thank you both,

I did find the earlier post. Here is the link to that post.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=2712&highlight=queen

This is a really nice thing to know. Now to get back to making those brick veneers.

TFHO
Terrence Sturm, Architect
AC 23 build
AC 24 build 5000
Anonymous
Not applicable
Bill wrote:
Terrence

Use the values command in the parameter or master scripts

VALUES "A" range [3",] step 3", 3"

You can then have a object of modular size that remains stretchy after it has been placed...
This is really great! Ive wondered how to make "stretchy intervals" for a long time. What if I want to add the ability to make the object freely stretchable after I have stretched according to what ever interval I have set in the script? I've added a "free" parameter to bypass the interval stretch but it defaults the size of the object to 3" or whatever is stated in the range. I need it to default to the closest interval its currently strectched to.

if free =1 goto 100

values "a" range [3",] step 3",3"
values "b" range [12",] step 12",12"

100:
A=A
B=B

I assume I could do something with NSP, PUT, or GET...
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dan K
Anonymous
Not applicable
You can have multiple RANGE definitions in the same line. This might do what you want, but I'm not sure I understand what that is. The actual code and purpose of what you are trying to do would help.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
...The actual code and purpose of what you are trying to do would help.
Matthew,
I'm trying to develop an easy way to make objects more user friendly when graphically editing them. So many products these days are manufactured to specfic incremental sizes. Why should'nt all objects be smart enough to stretch at modular increments they're designed to represent?

If you think about it, doors, windows cabinets, systems furniture etc. would all be very good candidates for this technique

This incremental stretching technique would be especially good for production builders(hint, hint graphisoft...). If all you do is custom work, it might not be as useful.

Anyway, I think I've got it figured out - see the attached image. its really simple. This example is just conceptual - I think it would be good to add the ability for the enduser to define the intervals based on whatever manufacturer specific requirements they may have.

Anyone else out there have any thoughts? I would like to see this sort of technique available for all graphisoft standard library parts - do you think this would be a good item for the wish list???

Thanks,
Dan K
Learn and get certified!