Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Global Door Changes

christurley
Newcomer
Apologies in advance - new to ARCHICAD and I have spent a lot of time trying to work through the maze of materials and cant seem to find the right answer - I am trying to create standard doors, windows, etc. for my office standard. I want to create a generic type of door and later on globally edit just those doors.

For example if type 1 doors is a 30" flat slab door I want to later be able to change all the type 1 doors to two panels without affecting any other type door. This is so basic I am frustrated that I can't seem to figure out. I tried favorites but the updates don't happen. Is it possible it is through embedded libraries? Crazy and embarrassed to ask for help on this.
Windows 10, ARCHICAD 21

Chris
Chris Turley
www.TurleyArchitects.com

Windows 10, Archicad 23
THINKPAD P50 32GB RAM, 64 BIT OS
3 REPLIES 3
Karl Ottenstein
Open your model in 3D and use Find & Select to globally select all Type 1 doors in your model... then cmd-T/ctrl-T to edit the settings which will be applied to all selected doors.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
christurley
Newcomer
Thank Karl. That seems kludgy to me instead of having a library that be redefining you can just change all the occurrences automatically. I have little doubt I will learn the logic behind it some day. An example of a new paradigm of thinking no doubt.

Thank you for taking the time to provide such basic guidance.
Chris Turley
www.TurleyArchitects.com

Windows 10, Archicad 23
THINKPAD P50 32GB RAM, 64 BIT OS
Barry Kelly
Library objects allow you to place unique instances of that object based on the settings of the parameters.
They will not be linked in anyway, so as Karl mentioned you will need to select all the objects you want to modify and change the parameter for all of them at the same time (rather than individually).

If you want copies that do all change when you alter a 'master' element then you will want to look into 'Hotlinked Modules'.
This could be a single object or a group of any elements that can be saved as a module.
Then instances of that module are placed.
When ever you edit the master module you then have the option to update the placed instances to match (or not).

This is not what I would do for placing doors though.
I would place as normal door objects and use Karl's method to select and change.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11