BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Global Material changes of Library Components

Anonymous
Not applicable
At the risk of being repetitive (in spite of many searches) a fairly basic question.

The library window and door frames are defaulted to Pine.
Unfortunately, reality seems to require WHITE upvc and painted door frames.

Two part question.

1/ Is there a simple way to Globally change the Library default to Paint 00?

2/ If not, when changing Materials on a specific window, is there any way of grouping the selection of items - frames/sashes/cills etc - and making just one pick, rather than the tedious one entity at a time, pick arrow, pick colour, pick next line?
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Granville,
Granville wrote:
1/ Is there a simple way to Globally change the Library default to Paint 00?
Open the gsm file... Find and change the material you want in the parameter list of the library part. Now every time you insert the door/window it will show your material definition.
Granville wrote:
2/ If not, when changing Materials on a specific window, is there any way of grouping the selection of items - frames/sashes/cills etc - and making just one pick, rather than the tedious one entity at a time, pick arrow, pick colour, pick next line?
I'm afraid you can't select and change more than one parameter at a time... So for me the best solution would be... For new door/windows: create a favorite door/window with your material specification... then select the door/window tool... call the favorite one to match to yours, and that's it. For existing door/windows: you can select all at a once with the select tool and apply the favorite to them.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thx Braza.
Not played with GSM yet (other than auto generated stuff).
I will have to go look.
Will this have to be on a "frame by frame" in the library basis, or do they all reference back to a master file, which will "update all"?

I have become relatively accomplished with the syringe to mass clone the changes, but only works on "like types". Somewhere along the line, I end up with a dozen disparate start points, each of which needs repainting, before the clones can be applied.

Overall, the GSM option looks best. (Till Library 12 arrives!)
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Changing the GSM as you put it, is particularly dangerous as it will change all instances of the parts in all projects that are accessing them. So just be aware of that.

You may be better off using the Attribute Manager to switch the material out in the project, but it also comes with the same caveat.

Otherwise changing en-mass, and/or with the syringe tool inside the tool's dialog may be best.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
This thread discussed the issue if its any help -

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=88567&highlight=#88567

As I suggested before, accessing the materials under the parameters tab could be a faster way of doing it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thx for that. Don't know why my searches didn't find it.
Have now commented in that thread too.

Whilst all the individual controls enable very sophisticated modelling, in the large part, something quick and simple would be more welcome.

An over-view parameter for whole groups would be helpful.
"All windows Type A = white pvc"
"All windows Type B = bronze anod alum"
"All door frames, casings, etc Type C = Paint 01"
and so on.

Then let the program update all the entries in one go.

It could still allow for unique changes if required,
"Front Entrance Door Set = RAL 04"

Or to go into a door with multiple choices of hardwoods for r&f panels, frames and trims.

Main thing is speed/simplicity for every day. Individually picking seven lines of pine, to change them to white, then doing it again and again for other non compatible variants is just NOT FUN.

Rant over.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Granville wrote:
Main thing is speed/simplicity for every day. Individually picking seven lines of pine, to change them to white, then doing it again and again for other non compatible variants is just NOT FUN.
I agree, it is tedious. I suggested a better way it could be organised in the 'UI wishes' forum, under 'reassigning materials' here which would apply to the whole project rather than just individual library parts. Hopefully something like it may appear in future versions of AC. The way its organised at the moment isn't very BIM like.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Would it be possible to make the material changes desired easily using an interactive schedule?

If the schedule were modified to include listing the materials and identical doors were grouped together (listed once), then I would think that you could just edit the schedule and all doors would change.

Just a thought - I haven't tried it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Neat idea.

I don't yet have the expertise to set up my own scheduling systems from scratch and even the standard door and window listings I have tried, have been less than convincing.

However, if such a system were incorporated into the main program, I am sure it would be very welcome.

The link posted by Peter indicates that there is a common view that this matter needs to be addressed.

If nothing else, GS should incorporate some intelligent linkage so that adding five or six different size/style windows in one elevation will have a high likelihood of being of similar appearance or colour!
__archiben
Booster
or you could simply create a 'favourite' . . . that will remember all of your parameter settings and is one click away.

i'm not saying that there shouldn't be a better way of handling materials - like breaking them into 'Materials' and 'Finishes' as discussed before somewhere or other - but if you need quick and easy access to a specific 'default' setting, favourites is the way to go...

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Learn and get certified!