Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Graphic Override why can it not use Door object parameters?

fuzzytnth3
Booster
ArchiCAD 20 - Graphic Override why can it not use Door object parameters?

It seems strange to me that all the door and window objects by default have a parameter in the Description settings listing the Fire Rating of the door.

Yet the Graphic Override facility has no way of using this information you have to create a Property and use it in a Graphic Override rule and then edit all the doors to use the correct Fire Rating Property which was already entered in the "Description" settings. Unless I have missed one of Graphisoft's sneaky little black triangle pop-outs?

A tad annoying because we have Favourites and Schedules setup to use the default Door parameters and in particular the Fire Rating.

Final thought, I'm guessing as I have not checked yet but I bet the Archicad Property Manager properties don't get exported with an IFC file or am I wrong?
AC versions 3.41 to 25 (UKI Full 5005).
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
10 REPLIES 10
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You should use Element Properties for such parameters now in ARCHICAD 20. It is a more general solution since a defined Property will be available for all elements that have specific "Element Classification" values.
Then you will be able to create your GO based on the value of the Property.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
fuzzytnth3
Booster
Thanks but will it export these Properties with the IFC model?
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, there is a new setting for that.
In the IFC Translation Setup Dialog, in the Export Options panel, click the Data Settings button.
In the upcoming Dialog check the "Element Properties" checkbox and element properties will be exported in the IFC files.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Da3dalus
Enthusiast
I, for one, look forward to never using Descriptions/For Listing parameters ever again. It was a clumsy work around for Interactive Scheduling. I created a new set of Door Properties for scheduling in a couple of hours, and I Love it. I expect all of my schedules will be based on Properties over Parameters by next year! The bonus... you can edit the Properties from the Info Box without opening and digging through the Settings dialog. Excellent!

Now, if only 2D elements had Properties!
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB
Ben Cohen
Enthusiast
Da3dalus wrote:
The bonus... you can edit the Properties from the Info Box without opening and digging through the Settings dialog. Excellent!
The double bonus is exporting the door schedule properties out to Excel, then importing back into ArchiCAD, this is a real time saver.

Pro tip: Create properties for location numbers - then collate the location numbers / User ids in Excel for large scale door schedules.
Ben Cohen
Mac and PC
Archicad (Latest Version) aus
www.4DLibrary.com.au
fuzzytnth3
Booster
Ben wrote:

Pro tip: Create properties for location numbers - then collate the location numbers / User ids in Excel for large scale door schedules.
Surely it makes more sense to use the Zone Number from your Zones? Otherwise it is duplication of effort and a source for errors.

With IFC properties we were able to combine the Zone Number and the door's reference number. I haven't tried doing that with the new Properties but hopefully that is still possible
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Ben Cohen
Enthusiast
Yes it does make sense to use zone numbers for locations numbers.
The problem is you can’t then collate the field and re-import back into ArchiCAD

What I am trying to achieve is as per the attached image. Still using zone numbers mind (I don't think this can be achieved using IFC fields AFAIK)

This was done by exporting the property fields for the hardware etc - along with the property fields for the location number and a property field called ‘Combined Location Numbers’ from a non-graphic schedule.

In excel I collated the fields - so that all the matching ‘location number’ fields for the ‘ID’ were added to the ‘Combined Location Number’ field (LG.17 - LG.18 etc etc. ) this was done is excel using the zone number as the reference.

Then I imported the property data back into ArchiCAD and because every ‘Combined Location Number' is the same, the door/window will only show the once in the schedule. Note this door occurs 16 times in various locations.
Door Schedule.png
Ben Cohen
Mac and PC
www.4DLibrary.com.au
Ben Cohen
Enthusiast
In plan, I have used the "identification and property label 20” the top is using the ID and the bottom is using the ‘Location Number’ property. The graphic schedule displays the ‘Combined Location Number’ field.
properties.png
Ben Cohen
Mac and PC
www.4DLibrary.com.au
fuzzytnth3
Booster
Hmm that is a challenge.

I was able with the last Project I worked on which had 280 doors to make use of IFC labels to extract the Zone numbers applicable to each door whereas you are are scheduling all Zone Numbers by Door Type.

ArchiCAD's schedule tool will list Doors by Type but it will list all the Zone Numbers individually for that Door Type.

I suppose you could export it out as a spreadsheet, merge the Zone Number cells and reimport into ArchiCAD to use your ArchiCAD Property "Combined Location Number"
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL