BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Graphisoft Corporate Management

archislave
Enthusiast
I was wondering how Graphisoft is managed. Is it still controlled from Budapest. Is most all development done in Budapest still? I am wondering if it still has the same leadership that it has for years. I asked because it feels like Architect is developing very slowly. I have not seen any software developed for iOS devices except of r BimX viewers.

Part of me wishes Archicad would be bought out by a more progressive company or managed by a younger team perhaps.
Archislave

archicad 16.0 US, iMac El Capitan
25 REPLIES 25
Eduardo Rolon
If I stop the subscription I loose acces to all my inDesign portfolios and project books. Same for Illustrator, Acrobat (for digital signature of CDs) and after effects. So I keep all my files are still in 5.5.

Though I am moving every single file to other formats so I stop being an Adobe slave.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

archislave
Enthusiast
I currently use Pages for simple effecting page layout. I love it much more than the old Pagemaker or InDesign which I found to be overkill. I use Hellosign, Sign Easy or even Adobe Fill & Sign which are free iOS apps. I think Preview allows signatures. There are plenty of Acrobat alternatives for Mac on Desktop.

I plan to start using Affinity Photo and Infinity Designer which have won Apple awards to replace Photoshop while Designer is a vector program. https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/
Archislave

Eduardo Rolon
We are going off topic, but if you are moving away from Adobe's products why are you defending their strategy?
The digital signature has to include a digital certificate it is not a copy of my real signature and/seal.
I am moving from InDesign to Quark (the irony) and sometimes use AC for Layouts (Pages is not robust enough), After Effects I switched to Motion. Illustrator is the only option that has been a pain. I switched to AI after Adobe bought Macromedia and discontinued Freehand which is the one I really miss.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

archislave
Enthusiast
Well I think companies do need to be paid of their work and I think Photoshop and Lightroom for $10 a month is a great value over how it once cost $800 for a cd at retail. I the Affinity products are and even better value for most of the functionality of Photoshop. I am not a power user. So if what if Graphisoft offered Archicad for $100 a month. This would be comparable to the price cut you get on Photoshop. Or it would sound like a good value at $1200 a year. If sone came out with a next generation BIM product I could by for an even great value then i would consider that purchase a better value than a $100 a month subscription. It is all about the value and math.
Archislave

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think GRAPHISOFT does offer pay-per-use licenses, which is not exactly the same as subscription, but something similar:

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/technotes/licensing/archicad-license-types/#Types_of_commercial_lic...

For me the big issue with what Autodesk is doing is the fact that after July 31, 2016 they will offer only subscription. So there will not be a choice for the customer of which option is best for them, they will be forced to be on subscription. For example, maybe they would want to buy 3 perpetual licenses, and then add monthly/yearly subscriptions as the amount of work ebbs and flows. But they will have their perpetual licenses even when the next recession hits (which it will at some point, there is no escaping it) and not pay the subscription expense in time of recession. If they have to downsize from 6 licenses to 3 licenses, with 3 perpetual license, they just cancel their subscription and be able to continue to work. With subscription-only, they will have to keep paying 3 subscriptions even during those hard times to be able to continue to do work.
Users should be able to have a choice of what time of license they want to buy, especially with such expensive products.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Eduardo Rolon
archislave wrote:
Well I think companies do need to be paid of their work and I think Photoshop and Lightroom for $10 a month is a great value over how it once cost $800 for a cd at retail. I the Affinity products are and even better value for most of the functionality of Photoshop. I am not a power user. So if what if Graphisoft offered Archicad for $100 a month. This would be comparable to the price cut you get on Photoshop. Or it would sound like a good value at $1200 a year. If sone came out with a next generation BIM product I could by for an even great value then i would consider that purchase a better value than a $100 a month subscription. It is all about the value and math.
You already have this with the PPU Licenses. Check with your reseller but I think is ±$300.00 a month (one month) and if you prepay for the year the cost goes down.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Learn and get certified!