Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Graphisoft and Data Design System Joining Forces

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
32 REPLIES 32
jl_lt
Ace
you talk about integrated design process but then leave out MEP? in my playbook integrated design process includes MEP even if its designed at the end by third parties.

i look at it this way: Archicad now has integrated mep, even if its not at the level of other players they are now in the conversation. That cannot be a bad a thing.
Mjules
Mentor
Architects often think about active design strategies during the design process. An HVAC diagram is enough for them accordingly. Actually the most important aspect in integrated design process is the passive design strategies.
jl_lt wrote:
you talk about integrated design process but then leave out MEP? in my playbook integrated design process includes MEP even if its designed at the end by third parties.

i look at it this way: Archicad now has integrated mep, even if its not at the level of other players they are now in the conversation. That cannot be a bad a thing.
Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
Asus | 64 GB RAM | Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jp1138 wrote:
DDS-cad products are said to be great, but here in Spain they are too generic and not adapted to local regulations, at least the last time I cheked, so they are in great dissadvantage against other software solutions.
IMO this is the main reason for the the merge.
As Valeriy Ivanov well demonstrated with his extremely quality MEP libraries, GDL is probably the most powerful tool for MEP object design in the market. Making DDS development within Archicad will certainly deliver great MEP content and workflows. Regarding the MEP calculation tool aspect, I agree with DGSketcher. I think the MEP calculation Addon should be developed as an Addon and purchased apart, but the design/routing function must be part of AC out of the box.
My 2 cts.
Mjules
Mentor
It is a good idea for those who have clients ready to purchase these 3D MEP design services.
Jp1138 wrote:

I think the MEP calculation Addon should be developed as an Addon and purchased apart, but the design/routing function must be part of AC out of the box.
My 2 cts.
Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am more in favor for creating workflows within AC to allow manufacturers easily create, maintain and deploy MEP content free of charge for AC users. These MEP content could be available for users to elaborate simple MEP installations from scratch, where software calculations are not needed/wanted due to the scale or budget of the project. But if the scale/budget of the project needed a dedicated attention, then firms could purchase the addon and automate the design and documentation process. But the addon could also use the same manufactures MEP elements already available for free. Does this makes sense?
Mjules
Mentor
Good points, Braza!

We, architects and/or designers, need a software to only communicate the design and the information required to bring a building into reality. That's the main point!
Braza wrote:
I am more in favor for creating workflows within AC to allow manufacturers easily create, maintain and deploy MEP content free of charge for AC users. These MEP content could be available for users to elaborate simple MEP installations from scratch, where software calculations are not needed/wanted due to the scale or budget of the project. But if the scale/budget of the project needed a dedicated attention, then firms could purchase the addon and automate the design and documentation process. But the addon could also use the same manufactures MEP elements already available for free. Does this makes sense?
Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
gdford
Advisor
Potential I assume this could be a huge deal, but i don't see how this merger could help anything we do in the US market for a decade at best. I suspected the result of this will be to pull resources away from further development of ongoing, chronic issues Archicad has struggled to address.
At some point we just need to make the product actually work like it should before we add in the big guns. Personally i think Graphisoft should just bite the bullet and start over from scratch and build the "real" BIM product. Letting go of legacy requirements would be huge. Someone is going to do this - I would rather it be graphisoft than autodesk...
Gary Ford
Self Employed - Modeling, Estimating, Construction
Archicad 12-26
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
3701 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000
Anonymous
Not applicable
gdford wrote:
Personally i think Graphisoft should just bite the bullet and start over from scratch and build the "real" BIM product.
I am sure this is THE dream of each and every person in the AC develop team.
I guess all software develop team members must feel like heart transplant surgeons.
Mjules
Mentor
Especially in the event that they have to create an all-in-one BIM software.
I guess all software develop team members must feel like heart transplant surgeons.
Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
hybrid
Enthusiast
Braza wrote:
gdford wrote:
Personally i think Graphisoft should just bite the bullet and start over from scratch and build the "real" BIM product.
I am sure that in the bowels of the office they are doing this (completely new code) with low priority. but whether it will reach its final conclusion is a big question.
AMD R7 2700 3.8@GHz | 32 Gb RAM | SSD | GTX 1050Ti