Parametric design
About Rhino & Grasshopper and PARAM-O.
SOLVED!

Grasshopper-Archicad connection not connecting?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, I am totally new to try this feature, so I am using Archicad 23 EDU, and Rhino 6. I have installed the connection plugin, and the 'archicad' tab on grasshopper is already shown up. Then I did a test by making a slab in Archicad, and in GH I put the Slab parameter capsule, and right click on it and click something called 'extract/select a single from archicad'. Then the window of GH and Rhino were minimized only for a couple seconds, and then it went back again to the GH window, and nothing happened. Seems like I cannot extract or I think the connection is not working. Can somebody help me please? Thank you!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Steve,

Establishment of the connection between the two programs does not mean anything is displayed in Rhino. Did you place any ARCHICAD Node in Grasshopper and set one or more ARCHICAD Elements with it? You will see ARCHICAD stuff displayed in Rhino only if you use an ARCHICAD Node in Grasshopper to get the geometry of those ARCHICAD elements into Rhino/Grasshopper.
Like you can see it in this clip:

Steve wrote:
Step one for me will be getting the ArchiCAD element/s to be displayed in Rhino via the ArchiCAD-Grasshopper add-on.
I have still not been able to do that using ArchiCAD 23 and Rhino 6 - but it was working for me with earlier versions. I must have some simple thing setup wrong. ? Connections are verifiably established but I do not see anything in Rhino.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

I hope you managed to figure out how to get along with it by yourself. If no, let me share this youtube playlist with you, that should take you through all the steps of how to get started with Grasshopper (and the Live connection):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnXY6vLUwlWUfX-KiXfMC-X9_-IjzZGcl

Anyhow, in this specific case, if you want to reference an existing slab inside ARCHICAD to be liked to a "slab container" component in grasshopper, first you will need to start the connection from the Grasshopper Connection palette (see the video for this), and then right-click on the component, choose "select one slab in ARCHICAD", and then click a slab in ARCHICAD. If the slab was already selected in ARCHICAD before, then it may pick the selected slab automatically.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Step one for me will be getting the ArchiCAD element/s to be displayed in Rhino via the ArchiCAD-Grasshopper add-on.
I have still not been able to do that using ArchiCAD 23 and Rhino 6 - but it was working for me with earlier versions. I must have some simple thing setup wrong. ? Connections are verifiably established but I do not see anything in Rhino.

Also, there are too many old videos out there which don't work for new versions.

Before I spend money on tutorials to figure out where I have gone wrong with my set up, does ArchiCAD 23 and Rhino 6 ( windows) work for anyone else? I read about problems like I am having but I don't see any windows users saying that it works as expected for them. ?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

JGoode
Advocate
Steve wrote:
I must have some simple thing setup wrong. ?
Have you tried to add in parameters in Grasshopper to assign your ArchiCAD elements to?
ArchiCAD 23

Windows 10
Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Steve,

Establishment of the connection between the two programs does not mean anything is displayed in Rhino. Did you place any ARCHICAD Node in Grasshopper and set one or more ARCHICAD Elements with it? You will see ARCHICAD stuff displayed in Rhino only if you use an ARCHICAD Node in Grasshopper to get the geometry of those ARCHICAD elements into Rhino/Grasshopper.
Like you can see it in this clip:

Steve wrote:
Thanks Laszlo,
This just the video I needed to see

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Cool, glad it sorted it out for you.
conscious247
Contributor

_

Hi Daniel, 

I am having an issue with the connection with Rhino 7 and AC25 latest build, that happened after I uninstalled Rhino 6 this morning. The connection is detected, all the AC nodes become grey, but I am not able to send anything, and all the attribute nodes as well as any node that requires connecting with AC don't collect any data (like the GDL object library). I have deleted the connection plugin and reinstalled it, also uninstalled Rhino and re-install and nothing... quite frustrating though.
Any idea or advice?
Screenshot 2022-03-29 at 10.13.37 PM.pngScreenshot 2022-03-29 at 10.13.48 PM.png

Jorge Benéitez

M.arch | Registered Architect | ARB
BIM Implementation | Graphisoft Registered Consultant.

Hi Jorge,

Did you find a solution to this? 

I am having the same issue. Running Rhino 7 and AC25 on a Mac studio (M1 max chip)

Marius