BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Guideline Handle slow to appear (ACAD23/24)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Since 23 and now in ArchiCAD 24, the guideline handle takes very long to appear, takes up to 11 seconds. Very frustrating if want to move a guide quickly to new position. I'm at a stage where I delete the guide and draw a new one. Anybody else experiencing this? Is there a setting somewhere or a fix?
12 REPLIES 12
Barry Kelly
Draw wrote:
Since 23 and now in ArchiCAD 24, the guideline handle takes very long to appear, takes up to 11 seconds. Very frustrating if want to move a guide quickly to new position. I'm at a stage where I delete the guide and draw a new one. Anybody else experiencing this? Is there a setting somewhere or a fix?

For me it is instantaneous - as soon as I touch the guide line (the orange ones).+I am not aware of a setting that controls the time delay for this.
What are your machine specs and operating system?
And is everything up to date on your machine? - video drivers, Archicad version.

Barry.

P.S. I am hoping your signature is just a quote and not some miss-attempt for a web link.
Your signature is better used for machine specs, operating system and Archicad version used.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
My setup...
Win 10 x64 (newest update)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 975 @ 3.33GHz, 3326 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 18,0 GB

Archicad 24 (4018)

Both PC's in our office is doing this in 24 😞
Anonymous
Not applicable
Found the glitch. If I load the ArchiCAD 24 standard profile, it works like it should. If I load my custom profile with menus where I want them, shortcuts, etc. it has the delay. So I will try and recreate my Work Environment from scratch and see if that still works when I'm done. What a pain....

And I found the culprit. I forgot to mention my Dual Screen Setup. As soon as I open the Window Palettes "Organizer" and move it to the second screen, the delay incurs! Can someone recreate this?
Barry Kelly
Draw wrote:
Found the glitch. If I load the ArchiCAD 24 standard profile, it works like it should. If I load my custom profile with menus where I want them, shortcuts, etc. it has the delay. So I will try and recreate my Work Environment from scratch and see if that still works when I'm done. What a pain....

And I found the culprit. I forgot to mention my Dual Screen Setup. As soon as I open the Window Palettes "Organizer" and move it to the second screen, the delay incurs! Can someone recreate this?

Thanks for the extra info.
It all seems fine - except 18GB RAM seems an unusual amount - 16GB?

You may be onto something with the detached palettes, this has cause problems before.
I just tried and had no issue however.
I didn't replicate your setup exactly but I opened and dragged as many palettes (including the organiser) across to my second screen as possible but still no slow down.

I am not sure what else to suggest if you are sure it is the organiser causing the problem.
Personally I don't have any palettes on the second screen, unless I deliberately need them there.
I try to keep them docked (some don't dock) and only turn them on when needed.

All I can suggest is to move one palette at a time and if you can narrow it down to the organiser, then report this to your local support people.
It could be some setting in the Work Environment but as you have realised, the only way to figure that out is to start from the standard WE and adjust for each of your settings.
Or it could be a combination of WE settings and palette positions.

The fact that it is fine when everything is standard and on one screen means it is just going to be possibly a lot of trial and error to figure out exactly what the cause is.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

Thank you very much for reporting this issue and I am very sorry about the experience!

I tried to look for a similar report in our database, but nothing comes up. I guess the issue could be system-specific. As Barry suggested (thank you very much, Barry!) I would definitely start with these things first.
If nothing helps, it would be best to contact the local support. Or feel free to drop me a private message anytime, I will try my best to help you with the issue!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey guys!

I have the same issue. Some of my friends complaints about the same issue. Does anyone know how to fix it?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Draw, I guess I know how to fix it.

Go to options -> work enviroment

Than look at this print below, and change the pixels to 2 or less at input constraints and guide.

https://prnt.sc/115ywj8
Henrique Carneiro
Participant

Same problem here. It's tedious and frustrating. In some cases it just doesn't show up, so I can't move the guideline around.

Can it be that you have Snap Guides on also? This causes that a blue line shows first, then along wait, and then comes the orange ball. Turn off snap guides.

🙂 Odd Goderstad
GS Norge
Oslo, Norway
Always the latest version ArchiCAD mostly on Windows
twitter: @OddGoderstad
Learn and get certified!