Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Half Stone Half Brick Wall

Anonymous
Not applicable
What would be the best method to model a wall where the water table is like 5' off the 1st finished floor and it is stone with a stone lip and then everything above that wall to be brick. (We do different height water tables all the time).

Also on the hunt for a cover fill or lack of better words a "hatch" for a wall representing the different kinds of stone. Stack stone, river rock etc. Just would like to be able to draw the walls like the structure will be built so when shown in 3D it would show the different materials.
19 REPLIES 19
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
JLKilgore wrote:
What would be the best method to model a wall where the water table is like 5' off the 1st finished floor and it is stone with a stone lip and then everything above that wall to be brick. (We do different height water tables all the time).
You can create a Profiled Wall, create it for the shortest instance (Profiles Walls cab be made taller, but not shorter). Pay attention to the location of the Vertical Stretch line locations to control the position of the water table.
JLKilgore wrote:
Also on the hunt for a cover fill or lack of better words a "hatch" for a wall representing the different kinds of stone. Stack stone, river rock etc. Just would like to be able to draw the walls like the structure will be built so when shown in 3D it would show the different materials.
Open the ArchiCAD template file, under Fills > Symbol Fills there are a variety of stone vectorial fills. These can be copied into your project file, or you can use Attribute Manager to transfer them.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
I will give that a shot. So if I have a wall with stone like 12" above the 1st f.f. and then need another one at 36" above 1st f.f., I just need to make the different wall types?

I will also give the vecortial fills a look. I have never really messed with them but better late than never.

Thanks for the ideas.
Barry Kelly
JLKilgore wrote:
I will give that a shot. So if I have a wall with stone like 12" above the 1st f.f. and then need another one at 36" above 1st f.f., I just need to make the different wall types?
If you make the complex profile as David has show with the vertical stretch lines (they are the horizontal ones!) at the top and bottom of your stone section then you only need the one profile as you can adjust the wall height bigger (not smaller) when required.
However the brickwork above will remain the same size (i.e. always 6').
So if you want the top of the wall to remain constant and the stonework to change height then this won't work - unless you use SEO to cut the top off.

If you need the stonework and brickwork to both be adjustable (i.e. keeping the overall wall height the same but just adjusting the top of the stonework/base of brickwork level then you will need to create a profile for different height of stonework with the brick above it.

Or create just the stonework profile which will be adjustable and then place a separate brick wall above it.
This will cause problems if you have openings that span from the brickwork into the stonework as you have two separate walls.
Works well if your openings are entirely in just the brick protion.
Your stone wall will simply be a foundation wall.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
JLKilgore wrote:
So if I have a wall with stone like 12" above the 1st f.f. and then need another one at 36" above 1st f.f., I just need to make the different wall types?
Yes, just duplicate the Profiled Wall, use the Marquee Tool to stretch the water table and Vertical Stretch line in one operation, and save the Profile. (The Store Profile commands have changed a bit in AC17 from previous versions).

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
I did what was suggested but the walls where they clean up show brick on the ends. Is there any way to change the sides to read the same material as the fronts?

But thanks for the help it looks exactly how I need it.
Barry Kelly
Unfortunately not.
The entire ends (and inside of openings) of the complex profile only have one material that you can set in the wall tool settings.

The only way you can control it better is to have separate walls for the stone and the brick.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
JLKilgore wrote:
I did what was suggested but the walls where they clean up show brick on the ends. Is there any way to change the sides to read the same material as the fronts?
This has changed a bit in AC17 with the new Building Materials attribute, but still has issues for wall ends, as well as openings. One work around is to convert a copy of the wall into a Morph, then pick off the appropriate Morph faces and change their Surface (Material) assignment. These Morphs can then be copied around the model as needed.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
Barry Kelly
In 17 complex profiles will show the end materials as you want so long as you turn legacy mode of and also turn off the surface over-ride.

Still doesn't show them properly at door/window edges but maybe this could be solved with some creative scripting.

Barry.
complex_profile.jpg
Versions 6.5 to 27
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Barry wrote:
Still doesn't show them properly at door/window edges but maybe this could be solved with some creative scripting.
I don't think there are Global Variables available in GDL to get enough information about the host wall to accomplish this automatically.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture