Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Help please...Files won't Open

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

I had inadvertently deleted some work files that hadn't been backed up and needed to go to a computer tech to try and recover them. The problem is that ArchiCAD won't open them, even with 'Open & repair selected file' as it then says that it cannot be open and gives the option to 'Open as Read-Only' but then says that the 'Repair process failed' and "Cannot read Plan file.'

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get it open? The file shows that it has 69MB so it's there, I just can't get to it. I've been on the phone to tech support but they couldn't do anything.

thanks for any help.

kind regards,

Gabrielle
3 REPLIES 3
Barry Kelly
If they have been recovered then they may not be the complete file - I guess there is nothing that you can do about that.

But if you deleted them can I ask the obvious - did you look in the re-cycle bin?

If you have a Codemeter key then remove it before you look in the re-cycle bin as otherwise it may appear empty.
This is on a Windows PC at least.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
If they have been recovered then they may not be the complete file - I guess there is nothing that you can do about that.

But if you deleted them can I ask the obvious - did you look in the re-cycle bin?

If you have a Codemeter key then remove it before you look in the re-cycle bin as otherwise it may appear empty.
This is on a Windows PC at least.

Barry.
Thanks Barry,

yes the first thing I did was 'Restore all items' which I was then told was not a good thing to do as it re-writes on the SSD. I didn't think to take out the codemeter, but when I do it now, it's not showing anything more. I had my hard drive and the files on there before I got the SSD, so I have everything on there up to mid Sept, but not since. I know, I should have backed it up earlier but just got lazy I suppose, but in amongst ISP problems getting a Laptop up and running and no sleep, I was going to back up the file on an external hard drive and thought that instead of going through all the 'merge folder' problems and the time it takes, I just thought that I'd delete it off the external HD and just do a clean copy, but deleted the file off my computer instead! It's one of those stupid mistakes that my computer guy didn't set me up with a proper back up programme before now.

My only hope is to try and open the corrupt file I think, or do the work all over again.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Gabrielle, Have you had any luck to restore your files? or you lost them?