BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Help with loading old library files

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am trying to load the "Object Library 8.pla" file through my Library Manager tool in ArchiCAD 20, and am receiving an error message that the file is unreadable or corrupt. This is the file I downloaded from http://www.graphisoft.com/downloads/library/USA.html. any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong? the 8.1 library file loaded fine.
2 REPLIES 2
Barry Kelly
A '.PLA' file is not a library that you can load but is a PLN file that contains the library saved with it at the time - an archive file.
You open it just like any other PLN file - the only problem is that version 20 can only open file back to version 10.
So you will need an earlier version or a file convertor to open and save it to version 10 which you can then open in 20.

File convertor link ... http://www.graphisoft.com/downloads/fileconverter.html

But you may not need to do this if you say you already have the library?
Unless there is something specific in the file you need (i.e. it is a template).
The library should be the same though.

Version 20 can't read a version 8 file directly but it can load a version 8 library.
No guarantee that the library parts will work properly though as some aspects of GDL have changed over the years.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm loading the library. As I mentioned, the 8.1 .pla file loaded fine, but the version 8 .pla file did not. The program said it couldn't read it because it may be corrupt. I was wondering if there was another place to download it. It's not holding up my progress or anything, I'm just trying to organize some of our legacy files.
Learn and get certified!