Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Hiding specific objects from a particular camera

HelenE
Booster

Hello! I was told by a colleague that with 3ds Max you can program a camera to show or hide specific elements. Is this something that can be done with Archicad? So I don't have to do so many layer combinations for each view of the building. Thank you.

11 REPLIES 11
jfaugustine
Booster

This may help in your situation.  I will do the following when there are elements I want to omit from the view.  I will set up and save a view.  Then select "all" and then deselect the elements to exclude.  I may repeat that several times until all of the intended items are removed from the view.  Afterward, the view is resaved with the current selection, check "Redefine Image Settings with current".

ArchiCAD since 8.0, currently on 22, waiting on 26, maybe...

What is the end goal? 

When you say each view are you doing color or siding options?

Or building options?

Pinning items to a renovation filter works well, though you will only ever see them in that filter.

Eduardo Rolon

My trick for this is to open the 3D View with the elements you want and set the viewpoint.

Once that is done then save it as a 3D Document.

When you want to render that particular view got to the saved 3D View and select - Open Source View and that should open the 3D Window with your "saved" settings.

---

You will be trading a lot of Layer Sets for a lot of Saved 3D Views

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Hi! Thank you for your reply! How do you select the items to exclude? (without new layer combinations). In my case it's certain trees that I don't want to be visible in one of the cameras I've set up but visible in other cameras..

Screenshot_1.jpg

Hello! Thanks for the idea, I will try it! I'm trying to hide certain trees from some cameras but I want them visible in other ones. I posted a picture above. 

Hi thank you for your reply! Basically you are suggesting I create layers (for the hidden trees in my case) and layer combinations for each camera? I'm sorry I didn't understand 🙂

You don't select the items you want to exclude.

You select the items (in 3D) that you want to show then 'Show selection in 3D' to hide those bits you have not selected.

So basically in open a 3D window that shows everything.

Then 'select all' and start to de-select what you don't want to see.

Now 'Show selected in 3D' and those bits you didn't select will be hidden.

Now you update or save you 3D view.

That is the old way.

In 25 you can now select what you want to hide, right mouse click and 'hide selection' - much easier.

Then again save or update your 3D view.

The view will remember what you had showing next time you open it.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

@Barry Kelly wrote:

That is the old way.

In 25 you can now select what you want to hide, right mouse click and 'hide selection' - much easier.

Then again save or update your 3D view.

The view will remember what you had showing next time you open it.

To this it should be noted that you don't hide the selection but show the inverse of the selection with the effect that nothing added to the model after the View is saved will be shown. So if you add something that you want shown in the View you have to reset by Show All, redo the Hide Selection and Redefine.