Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Hotlinked models - Cut additional element - wall openings

Klik
Contributor

Hello everyone!

I have encountered a problem and I need some help 🙂

Here is the description:

I have two models:

1. Structural model - contains RC walls, slabs, foundation, columns etc. Basically, model contains only structural elements and defined wall/slab openings. Openings created using tool - OPENINGS.
  2. Architectural model - contains masonry walls, wall finishes e.g. plasters etc. also with door openings

I am joining those 2 models via hotlink in a 3rd model - master model.

In master model I cut  e.g. plaster with openings made in structural model via cut additional element.

Worked great, but..

Problem appeared when updated the structural model (containing the opening) - all the additional cuts were gone.

Additional cuts are not lost while updating architectural model tho.

Is there any way that openings in one model cutting elements in another model are not lost in updating any of these models?

11 REPLIES 11

Hello Klik,

Are you able to share some screen captures ?
I am not sure to understand your problem.

Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin

Yes, sure. 

Green one is a RC wall with some openings - structural model

Yellow one is wall - architectural model.

Both are placed in master model via hotlink.

How to create the opening in architectural wall (architectural model) using the opening from structural model? 
While I can use "cut additional element", the "connection" is lost every time I update structural model.

Klik_1-1634724003935.png

Thank you for replay, Christophe!

Hello Klik,

To create the opening in architectural wall (architectural model) using the opening from structural model, I think you should merge an ifc file which include only openings through architectural model. 
I think your concern is linked to the absence of a spatial relationship between the opening and the architect model, but maybe I misinterpreted your subject.

Christophe - FRANCE

"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin

This would mean, that I have two openings - 1 in structural, 1 in architectural model. This is a long way 🙂 

Thought it was possible to link elements via hotlink module somehow. 
Anyway, thanks for your time and answering to my post 🙂 

Klik,

I think that the problem is more in the assembly of the models than in the possibility of automating the holes. Automatically importing holes is quite possible, but i do not think it possible in this case.

Christophe - FRANCE

Can you elaborate more about the assembly of models? The knowledge could be useful on the next projects.  

Erwin Edel
Rockstar

In these instances I clash the structural model of the external party with a 'core of loadbearing' elements only version of my own model to quickly see if I'm missing something.

Removing part of your own model (composites etc) and using a 3rd party model is setting yourself up for a messy experience and quite often you still need to match your openings (doors, windows etc) to their model.

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

Hello Klik,

Convert an IFC Provision for Void to an Archicad Hole

An IFC Provision for Void is a building element proxy with an associated special IFC attribute (Provision for Void). An IFC Provision for Void cannot contain a door or window.

The architect receives Provisions for Void from other disciplines in the form of an IFC model. This template can either contain other template elements as well, or only Provision for Voids.

Building Element Proxies representing IFC Provisions for Void under imported into Archicad as Shapes and are classified as Provisions for Void

Christophe - FRANCE

Barry Kelly

Isn't this just a case that because these are Hotlink Modules, you have to amend/add the openings in the original Hotlink file?

Yo can't amend a hotlink in the master file it is being linked to.

So the openings in one hotlink can not be associated to the other hotlink.

They will have to be separate openings in each file.

Or do I not understand the problem?

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11