BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Hotlinked models - Cut additional element - wall openings

Klik
Contributor

Hello everyone!

I have encountered a problem and I need some help 🙂

Here is the description:

I have two models:

1. Structural model - contains RC walls, slabs, foundation, columns etc. Basically, model contains only structural elements and defined wall/slab openings. Openings created using tool - OPENINGS.
  2. Architectural model - contains masonry walls, wall finishes e.g. plasters etc. also with door openings

I am joining those 2 models via hotlink in a 3rd model - master model.

In master model I cut  e.g. plaster with openings made in structural model via cut additional element.

Worked great, but..

Problem appeared when updated the structural model (containing the opening) - all the additional cuts were gone.

Additional cuts are not lost while updating architectural model tho.

Is there any way that openings in one model cutting elements in another model are not lost in updating any of these models?

11 REPLIES 11
Klik
Contributor

That is exactly the case. 2 files are hotlinked in the master file. There are some openings in structural model and now I would like to expand those openings in architectural layers. I understand this cannot be done.
Do you have any workaround for this? How about adding openings in a master file? 

All my exports to IFC files come from the master file so it would spare some time to add openings in there instead of separate models. Would it work? Or the openings would be gone after updating the hotlinked model?

Once placed in a master file, all you can do with a hotlink file is move it and turn layers on or off.

All editing of a hotlink must be done in the original hotlink file.

That includes adding openings - so it will have to be done in each hotlink file.

The only thing I can think of is if you 'Merge' the two files rather than place them as hotlinks.

Now you will have an editable master file but you will no longer have the option of updating the original model as it is no longer a hotlink.

All editing can now be done in the final merged file and you can export that as your IFC file.

I guess experiment and see what happens.

But keep a copy of your original files just in case it all goes pear shaped or you need to modify the original structural or architectural models.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!