Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Hotlinked stairs in multistory module not showing correctly

PVBergkrantz
Expert
Hello. I have a project with multiple mutli-story buildings hotlinked into one file. The story height varies within these buildings, so they are all set to "Keep elevation as in Story Structure of Hotlink Source", which works pretty well, they all look the way they're supposed to and changes in story height within the modules update as it should.

I also have staircases in these modules, and while they keep their correct appearance and height in 3d, they obviously lose the link to the stories, not a big deal though. However in order to keep their correct position in the world they all get offsets from stories (of the file they're hotlinked into), some stairs being positioned 5 meters above, some below etc., this causes them to be above or below the cutting line for the stories and consequently gives them dashed lines or other weird appearances on the plans.

This might be too much to ask to work perfectly but I thought that maybe someone else might have struggled with this and have some ideas or workarounds?
| AC 25 Int | Win10 | i7-7800X | 32 GB | GeForce RTX 2060 6GB |

9 REPLIES 9
Lingwisyer
Guru
I cannot find the thread, but I remember one persons workaround to complex story structures (staggered stories, half stories, mezzanines, etc) was to save multiple Views with different Floor Plan Cut Plane heights then stitch them back together on a Layout.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
PVBergkrantz
Expert
Thank you, I'll try something like that and see how it works.

Lingwisyer
Guru
If it is only the stairs that are displaying incorrectly, you could change the break position of the stairs themselves.

Stair Settings => Floor Plan Display => Break Mark => Break Mark Position

Ling.

DavorP
Enthusiast
Same problem here - can't find a solution.

Changes in floor plan cut plane settings don't seem to have any effect on stairs within a module.
BIM manager
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

Here's a link to the article about split-level that Ling mentioned:
https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/?p=62812

This works fine in general cases. If you want to specifically solve the issue of the break mark, I would also suggest you to set the break mark to a fixed place (disregarding the cut plane).

Otherwise I just tried it real quick, and if I change the cut plane in the host file to go through my stair, it changes the floor plan view. Maybe your floor plan is not the home story? (because then the "above home story" settings might apply, that defines no cut planes at all).

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah, we've been struggling with this for some of our big projects.

Seems the break mark is only part of the issue as the layout options change from host file to main file.

Eg. in the host file the stairs are set to "relevant top story - above break mark visible" and when it is placed it completely changes to "relevant - middle story - multistory 2D: hidden - visible - hidden" and we get 2x break marks!

With more complicated projects I think it's less hassle with this tool to just model the stairs live.
DavorP
Enthusiast
Yeah, we ended up removing stairs from hotlinks and just having them live. Lucky for us project was not huge but problems like this take away from the benefit of having hotlinks in the first place.

I just wish ArchiCAD had a region cut plane option like Revit does.
BIM manager
Lingwisyer
Guru
ponaelius wrote:
Seems the break mark is only part of the issue as the layout options change from host file to main file.

The settings vary depending on where the stair sits within the story structure of the current file. To get around this, within your hotlink, you can move or modify the stair to a height where you get the extra options, set those, then revert the height. In that way, within the host, the settings should match what you changed during your temporary modification.

Ling.

"The settings vary depending on where the stair sits within the story structure of the current file. To get around this, within your hotlink, you can move or modify the stair to a height where you get the extra options, set those, then revert the height. In that way, within the host, the settings should match what you changed during your temporary modification." This is a huge problem in many areas of Archicad, the fact that they hide/disable settings based on the current position of an object, which means if that position changes in hotlinks or just by applying favorites or copying a stair somewhere else it will behave completely different. I posted about this issue with roofs as well. The stair tool needs a massive overhaul with some user input to be useful, it seems to have been developed by programmers who never use the software professionally.