Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.
SOLVED!

Hotlinks Breaking

Lingwisyer
Guru
Hi all,

I have just found in one of my models that the majority of hotlinks have become embedded into the host file. It is a multi story building in which the modules were inserted into one story, then copied onto the other stories that have the same layout. In some locations, the stack of modules are good, in others only one story is still linked...

Has anyone run into this before? Maybe know the cause?

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

I think if you kept copying the hotlink you placed, someone might have accidentally copied it as native elements.

If "Suspend Groups" is OFF, and you select a hotlink module and copy it, you will be able to copy it as a hotlink. But if "Suspend Groups" is ON when you copy, it will copy each element as individuals, and not as a hotlink.

You can try selecting the whole hotlink module with Suspend Groups OFF, then turn it ON, and copy. This way when you paste, the elements won't be associated with each other (and the original hotlink) anymore. On the other hand, if you copy with suspend groups OFF, but paste with Suspend Groups ON, it will be fine (so what matters is the state of "Suspend Groups" when you copy).

I think this is what might have happened.

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Solution
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi,

I think if you kept copying the hotlink you placed, someone might have accidentally copied it as native elements.

If "Suspend Groups" is OFF, and you select a hotlink module and copy it, you will be able to copy it as a hotlink. But if "Suspend Groups" is ON when you copy, it will copy each element as individuals, and not as a hotlink.

You can try selecting the whole hotlink module with Suspend Groups OFF, then turn it ON, and copy. This way when you paste, the elements won't be associated with each other (and the original hotlink) anymore. On the other hand, if you copy with suspend groups OFF, but paste with Suspend Groups ON, it will be fine (so what matters is the state of "Suspend Groups" when you copy).

I think this is what might have happened.

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Lingwisyer
Guru
Right. That would explain the randomness of the broken modules. Good the know.

Thanks.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660