Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Hotlinks & Classifications

DGSketcher
Legend

So I succumbed to the nightmare that is Hotlinking for a number of repeating modules in a project. All the native elements allow me to assign a Classification to allow for their identification and isolation in 3D. The Hotlinks appear to only work with embedded Classifications and we can't override or assign a classification to a placed Hotlink. So basically I am thinking that I cannot use Hotlinking for repeating objects that I need to associate with other Classifications?

I assume the workaround is to explode & group those Hotlinks which is far from efficient and again renders the Hotlinks another huge waste of time...

As an example I have a roof feature that repeats 24 times on three different parts of the building (phased development) at present I can't just simply assign the Hotlinks to Classification Phase 1, Phase 2 & Phase 3 etc that allows me to simply select all elements with Classification Phase 1 to view just that part of the project.

If this isn't possible now, then for Hotlinks to have a future value they need to be able to handle assigning Classifications in their placed settings.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
3 REPLIES 3
DGSketcher
Legend

GS UK have confirmed assignment of Classifications to placed Hotlinks is not an option and the only solution is module duplication with different Classifications or working with each placed instance exploded / embedded as a group.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Both duplication and explosion do not sound like real workarounds (they defeat the purpose of the hotlink). The closest that comes to mind as a workaround is using the insertion layer for controling Phase in modules, and then multiplying layer combinations. Which now sounds like an absolute pain, but was the only way before say RFO and we all survived –losing hotlinks would be much more of a pain.

Thanks for the suggestion. I usually avoid Hotlinks like the plague, I have just been reminded why. All Hotlinks now converted to groups and I can control visibility through Classification for what I need.