Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Hotlinks and Layer visibilities

Anonymous
Not applicable
In AUTOCAD an Xrefed file allows for its layer visibilities to be turned on and off independently of the home file.

Can this be accomplished in AC with a Hotlink or something?

For example: My base file is a site plan it has a "curb layer" (whatever), I want to hotlink floor plans into it. both my site plan, and my floor plans share layers, like curbs, that i want to turn off in the linked file. i dont need multiple sets of curbs.

Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hotlinks have a 'home' layer that you can set as required to show/hide the entire hotllink contents - i have a dedicated layer for this and, if using various types of hotlinks, may set up multiple hotlink layers.

if the home layer is on, and hotlinks visible, any common layers that hotlinks share with main file will respond to layer combinations as normal and layer combinations can also be adjusted to suit specific layers in hotlinks only.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Not sure if i understood entirely correctly, but it sounds like that AC will not do what I need.

I do have the hotlink on its own layer, but the embedded layers in the hotlink still respond to the layer combo. which then turns off/on common layers.

I was hoping it was going to be as easy as go into layers and turn on an off layers that were specific to only "hotlink1."

thanks!
Barry Kelly
Rather than importing as a hotlink file you can import as an Xref.
I believe when you do this you will have controll of the Xref layers separately.
They will list below all the regular layers of the master file.
Barry.

P.S. when you place a hotlink file you chhose a master layer to put it in.
You can't change this afterwards except to delete the hotling and place it again.
As Kombibob said if you turn off this master layer then the entire hotlink will be turned off.
If this master thayer is on then you can turn on/off any of the other layers and the main file and hotlink file will respond the same.
With a hotlink file you can't manipulate the layers independently from the master file.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
You can't change this afterwards except to delete the hotling and place it again....
Yes you can. Select an element within the module (with Grouping on, NOT Suspended) and go to File> External Content> Hotlink Module Settings. You can change the master layer here.
Barry Kelly
s2art wrote:
Yes you can. Select an element within the module (with Grouping on, NOT Suspended) and go to File> External Content> Hotlink Module Settings. You can change the master layer here.
Thanks S2art.
I think I have only been looking in the hotlink manager once the hotlink was placed.
I see you can also right click on the hotlink (when grouped) and the hotlink settings option shows in the context menu.
Still learning after all these years
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
s2art wrote:
Thanks S2art.
I think I have only been looking in the hotlink manager once the hotlink was placed.
I see you can also right click on the hotlink (when grouped) and the hotlink settings option shows in the context menu.
Even better.
Barry wrote:
Still learning after all these years
Same.