Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Hotlinks doesn't show up correctly!

Kamelite
Enthusiast
How come these two marked walls is different? The one on the left is in a pln-file used as hotlink, and the file in the right is what it lookes like when placed..

.Thag
Windows 10, Archicad 27
6 REPLIES 6
Kamelite
Enthusiast
To clarify: The definition of the composite wall changes as I Iink it into the main file...

Thag
Windows 10, Archicad 27
Kamelite
Enthusiast
I've done some testing, and if I insert the file into a clean Archicad, it shows up like it should...

.Thag
Windows 10, Archicad 27
Lingwisyer
Guru
When inserting a hotlink into a file, it will adopt the materials of the host. This means that if the material assigned to each index number is different, you will get a different material showing up in the host.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Kamelite
Enthusiast
How can I find the index number?

.Thag
Windows 10, Archicad 27
Barry Kelly
In the Attribute Manager.
On the left side you will see the attributes of your current file.
On the right hand side you can open any other file and you can compare the lists.
It is possible to overwrite by index (keeps the same index number) or append (will create a new index number) from either file (side) to the other.
You unfortunately can't just manipulate these index numbers.

In the case you have described, I think you would have to Overwrite by index from the master file to the hotlink file.
This will ensure you have all of the same attributes in the hotlink file as those in the master file.
You will probably end up with some duplicate named attributes with a '(1)' after the name in the hotlink file.

You will then need to fix the hotlink file by 'delete and replace' the building material (attribute) in the building material settings dialogue.
Replace the original attribute with the new duplicate one (with the '(1)' after its name.
Now rename the attribute to get rid of the '(1)'.
Check that you hotlink model is using the correct materials and save it.

Hopefully now you link it back into the master file and it will look the same.

This starts to get very messy when hotlinking files with different attributes.
My tip is to always create your hotlink files either from the master file itself or by using the same template that was used from the master, so the attributes are the same.
If you create or change attributes in one file, then you really should use the attribute manager to update all other related files as well.

This is the best we can do until we get a 'master attribute file' that can be loaded into every file like we do for libraries now.
Then it will be a case of update the 'master attribute file' and all files using it will update also.
When (if) that will be though, who knows?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Kamelite
Enthusiast
So, it looks like I nailed it! It somehow seems that the problem was that my own composite had a name starting with _
See picture! And I'll explain:
[attachment=0]Why.jpg[/attachment]

So, it is like this: In my linked file, the wall-composite is named with the uppermost name, incircled in red. Somehow, during linking, the material changed to the second incircled name. Theese two materials is identical, other than the _ in the name.

Is this an issue with archicad? Can someone tell me what is happening?

BTW : the picture is from the main file, so, as you can see, the wall definition is present. Even so, it changes...

.Thag
Windows 10, Archicad 27