Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How can I create a South African Cape Dutch gable wall?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi All,

I am new to the forum so please bear with me, I will try be as specific as I can be.

I am working with ArchiCAD 18 and what I am trying to create is a Cape Dutch gable wall as in the below image:

But I would like to have a gable window as shown in this image:

As it stands in the first image I have had to create 5 seperate walls and adjusted heights for each with a connect to roof/shell on the slanted walls.(created 2 seperate mono-pitch roofs to connect to and have hidden them)

Now the problem I am having is that as soon as I want to insert a window as per the below image:

it is only created in the inner wall and not the slanted walls which cuts my window on each end. I have browsed Google and forums to try and figure this out but I am afraid I'm stuck.

Is there any way to create a custom gable wall to be trimmed to the desired shape across the top without creating a morph, as with morphs you can't insert a window as you would in a normal wall.

Please if anyone has had a similar challenge and have found a solution please let me know! Thanks for the help in advance.
15 REPLIES 15
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I find the rooftool quite handy to model the cap stones or whatever the covering that goes on top the wall is called in english. You can use the roofs to cut the wall as well.

Here's an example of an ArchiCAD15 project in wood, same principle.
wall_roof.jpg
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Another example with bricks.

The nice thing about single plane roofs is you can use CTRL (or CMD) and click an edge to connect one roof to the other, so all it takes is 2 clicks to create perfect mitred joints.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tat looks great! But how do you get the gable wall to trim at that shape? I see you have it connected to roof/shell obviously, but nowhere could i find a roof that fit that shape other than creating a shell. What roof tool are you using?
Karl Ottenstein
Erwin wrote:
Here's an example of an ArchiCAD15 project in wood, same principle.
Beautiful model, Erwin! 🙂
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
The shape is made up of single plane roofs. One horizontal and one with same pitch as the roof of the building. I trim the wall using solid element operators.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Erich
Contributor
Here is a similar example to Erwin's made in much the same way. However, since I needed profiled parapet cap stones, I used the crop to single plane roof feature which crops the wall then deletes the roof element used. This make the crop independent of other model elements which can be useful. The cap stones were then made with a complex profile wall - turned to a morph and rotated an needed.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K