Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How can I cut an object in a floorplan?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I am working on a project where I am using shipping-containers as building parts. I do have very detailed 3d-models of the shipping-containers and want to use them also in my floorplans of the building. When I see the floorplan of the groundfloor, which cuts the shipping-container, I still see only the upperside of the container; the floorplan cuts the walls, doors etc. but not the container.
Is is possible to change this and to see the actual inside of the container?

Thanks for answering!

PJ
12 REPLIES 12
Dontknow
Enthusiast
Change the cut plane height of your floor plane.
Document -> Floor Plan Cut Plane....

Architectural construction designer, draftsman, modeller
ArchiCAD 25.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Looking at the cuttingplane of the floorplan was the first thing I did. It is on 1500+ and the shipping-container is 2500mm high. The cuttingplane must go through it.
Dontknow
Enthusiast
Did some testing myself.
Looks like the cut plane height doesn't effect 3D-models.
Architectural construction designer, draftsman, modeller
ArchiCAD 25.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You will have to write your 2D Script properly for this to happen.
Can you show us an image of how the shipping container looks in 3D when cut with a horizontal plane at 1100 mm height? That is the cut look you would have to script in your 2D Script as well.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, thanks for thinking about it with me. I've made a few screenshots and tried an other solution: changing the object to morphs and then group them. That results in the third screenshot; the result I expect in the floorplan when cutting the object. Maybe this is a solution, but it effects the size of my model.
Well, maybe you have other solutions!

PJ
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry, I tried to attach three images, didn't work. Hereby what I see in planview.
Anonymous
Not applicable
And this one when I changed it to morphs and grouped them. This is the look I want in planview.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I forgot to tell that the object is imported from a 3d-ACAD model. So the script can be wrong.

PJ
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
That looks like one complex object.
The 2D of Morphs, unlike GDL Objects, is generated from their 3D. For GDL Object you have to do scripting to achieve the same.
You can either copy-paste that cut geometry into the 2D Symbol of the GDL, and use the FRAGMENT2 command, or you can use the 2D Script to generate the 2D (that can be a tougher thing to do, considering how complex the object is).
I don't know how well you know GDL, or if it is feasible for you to write/modify GDL script.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27