Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How can I overide a wall's appearence per veiw?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am trying to make a wall appear with a solid line for a phase I demo plan and appear with a dashed line in a phase II demo plan. I know that in Revit, I could select the wall and override its graphics by view and make this change. Is there any way to do this in ArchiCAD?

Thank You

7 REPLIES 7
Karl Ottenstein
Hence wrote:
I am trying to make a wall appear with a solid line for a phase I demo plan and appear with a dashed line in a phase II demo plan. I know that in Revit, I could select the wall and override its graphics by view and make this change. Is there any way to do this in ArchiCAD?
Not directly; ArchiCAD does not have the override capabilities of Revit.

The trick in ArchiCAD is to use a diagonal strip fill with a fat white line and transparent background on a layer that is visible only in your phase II demo plan layer combo. Place the fill over the necessary wall(s) in plan, and if necessary, in section. The result will not be ideal, but gets you close.

If you can live with using a different fill appearance rather than linestyle, you can distinguish elements by using a different pen table for each type of view, where the background color of the demo walls is distinguished in one view vs the other by changing the color of a particular pen assigned to those walls.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I wrote a GDL object to use in building elevations to display
below grade foundation walls as dashed lines covering up the
wall edges which in 3D have to be solid lines. I wonder if you
would find this object useful. You set the pen for the dash
and the gap and insert the object using the stretch geometry method.
It is as quick as drawing lines and you assign it a layer that you
turn on or off. Please see attached image.
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter Im interested. Where may I download your gdl mask?
Thank you
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Jose,
E-mail me your e-mail address and I will
send you the object. My e-mail address is
pdev@comcast.net
Thanks,
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I use 2 Navigator View Map settings + 2 layers to do this.

Steps:
1) Duplicate wall in question (assume it's on layer "Phase 1"),
2) Change duplicate wall to a simple non-composite wall,
3) Alter the cut lines in the new wall to dashed,
4) Create new layer called "Phase 2",
5) Place new (dashed line wall) onto Phase 2 layer,
6) Go to Navigator view map, create new (floor plan) view with layer "Phase 2" visible and layer "Phase 1" not visible.
7) The Phase 2 view will now show only the dashed wall and the original wall will remain invisible. The Phase 1 view will have the original wall with all original line work. You can now place these views on your layouts.

Advantage: you "maintain" the walls in your normal model based work flow, i.e. a change to the walls and the layout views are updated.

Cons: More effort to setup. I have created a template that includes additional (support) layers to help with 2D and 3d situations.

I hope this is a useful addition to your toolbox.
- snapcrackle
While I would probably use Karl's approach, I wonder if it would be possible to simply define a different cut plane height for the Phase 2 view, and have the uncut vs. cut surface pens be different. e.g. Have the Phase 2 wall uncut pen line be dashed, and have a cut plane height be above that wall, which will now be shown dashed. Cut planes are saved by view, so you could have a Phase 1 & Phase 2 view.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
KeesW
Advocate
Slightly off topic but slightly related, I think.
It would be great if Archicad would automatically show elements which are obscured by other elements (e.g. footings blow ground in plan or section, or kitchen cupboards obscured by a solid bench top, etc), as dashed or broken lines.
Or should this be another wishlist item?
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU