BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How can I show a window correctly with a brick veneer?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Maybe I am missing something, but how does one properly show a window with brick veneer? My composite wall has a 4" brick exterior veneer, air space, 1/2" sheathing, 2x4 stud cavity, and 1/2" drywall. The window pastes itself with the brick moldings going over the brick. This obviously is not correct. In the past I have used a seperate wall for the brick veneer, and then cut empty holes the proper size. This system works but is a huge waste of time. With the new 8v3 windows we now have a brick sill option and I assumed that would mean that the window would be drawn right. I have not figured out how to use the new brick sill option. Any thoughts, pointers, etc, would be appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
Viktor
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dr Lau,

In the parameter list of the window:
-Turn off the frame depth=wall thickness parameter
-Turn on the Brick veneer parameter.

I hope this helps.

Regards:

Viktor Bullain
GSUS
gpowless
Advocate
Well, I've had a problem with the new R8 windows too.

When I switch to the brick veneer options and the set the frame to wall thickness off the reveal created by brick mold sends the veneer to the opposite side and the studs to the veneer side. In 3d it appears fine, however in plan if looks terrible.

Is there any fix for this?
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full
Viktor
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Is this a problem that you had with the latest library available from http://tr.graphisoftus.com. If yes, please send the bugs to GSUS techsupport (form available on the same page). The ArchiCAD 8.1 Library also fixes several issues. It will be available for US and Canadian users shortly.

Best:

Viktor
Anonymous
Not applicable
I thought we had the latest library, will not worry about it until we get 8.1. Yes, turning off wall thickness gives a better representation, but the brick molding gets buried in the brick and does not show. ie, we need a rough opening dimension for the stud wall and a masonary opening for the brick veneer. This is not happening. Again, we will wait for 8.1 and see if this is corrected.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dr wrote:
I thought we had the latest library, will not worry about it until we get 8.1. Yes, turning off wall thickness gives a better representation, but the brick molding gets buried in the brick and does not show. ie, we need a rough opening dimension for the stud wall and a masonary opening for the brick veneer. This is not happening. Again, we will wait for 8.1 and see if this is corrected.
Do you think this can be resolved before Version 10???

I'm not convinced this issue has ever been resolved. Its been over a year since this intial post, we are up to version 9.0, and we still don't have properly functioning windows - The way the windows are currently working does not match typical standards for placement of the unit within a masonry veneered wall.

Can someone at Graphisoft please explain why the window reveal dialogue forces the masonry opening to become smaller? This is exactly opposite of how it should behave. The masonry opening is almost "always" larger than the unit itself. This, of course, will vary upon the type of window you are using. If you are using typical builder mtl/vinyl frames the M.O. and unit size are pretty much equal. However, if you are using wood or wood clad windows the the MO is larger to accomodate the brick mould.

I've tried to overide this by placing negative values in the reveal dialogue but it will not accept anything less than zero. Why is this not possible - is this some sort of European detail standard??? I, personally, have resorted to doing what "Dr Lau" mentioned about placing separate masonry walls with their own masonry openings - not an ideal solution, but its the only work around I can think of.

While I'm at it, I might as well express my concerns over the available windows in the standard library. Why doesn't the "Metal Windows 9" directory have a single or double hung window type??? If you're a builder and your typical home uses standard mtl or vinyl frame windows, you're forced to place a "wood" window for these common window types - this is just odd.

I would encourage Graphisoft to take a look at the 2004 top three specified window manufactures catalogues and give us some more usable window functionality. Please study the Masonry Openings. vs. Unit Sizes for the various types and see if you can give us the proper reveal options.

Here they are from the Builder magazine "2004 Brand Use Study":
Windows - Wood/Wood Clad:
Anderson
Pella
Marvin

Windows - Vinyl:
Certain Teed
Weather Shield/Visions 2000
Milgard

Windows - Metal:
Better Bilt
Alenco