BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How can a huge XYZ survey generated mesh be reduced in size?

PB
Advocate
Having received a very detailed xyz survey file generated by a site fly-over, I now have a huge xyz / txt file (36MB). AC16 will import this and create a fantastic terrain - survey points on a 1m grid for a site measuring 2Km x 2Km !......however, it drags AC to an absolute snails pace.

Is there some clever way that AC can reduce the polygon count for the terrain?.......can't seem to find anything on the subject, and I've tried converting the mesh to a morph - but I cannot find any means of reducing polygons (I found the means of increasing the polygon count!). (edit:) I will try smoothing the top of the morph 'terrain' in order that I may then reduce the number of polygons - but I fear that the first step may be a bit too much to ask on this morph !

Please help.....

Is there a way of automating a 'cul' of the xyz data in the surveyors file?
AC27 Apple Silicon. Twinmotion.
16" M1 Max MacBook Pro 32GB, Apple Studio Display, MacOS14
5 REPLIES 5
David Bearss
Booster
Yes please help. I have imported a survey that is LIDAR generated and the contour lines have a node every 3/4".
David Bearss
Archicad 18/Windows 11
Alienware 17 R5
i7 2.4 GHz / 16 GB ram
NandoMogollon
Advocate
I only can think on editing the xyz file in excel, and reduce the number of points there by deleting half of the rows or a third.
The trick is to organize it by columns so you know you are going from one corner to the other.

Alternatively I would actually split the terrain in several quadrants, so you can filter out what you don't need.

can you post the xyz file?
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Using, Archicad Latest AU and INT. Revit Latest (have to keep comparing notes)
More and more... IFC.js, IFCOpenShell
All things Solibri and BIMCollab
Anonymous
Not applicable
Use Architerra from CIGRAPH ARCHISUITE. When importing a point cloud there is a setting for a minimum distance range between imported points. You can set it according to your needs until you reach the number of points you target.
Anonymous
Not applicable
As a workaround try this. Save that terrain in its own file, then place it as a hotlinked module in your working file. I used this method last in AC12 and it improved the response time from a crawl to workable, not fast but workable.

Hi PB,

you can use free software "meshlab". There is option to import mesh (pointcloud) xyz etc. And reduce number of points by filters. You can for example set radius where should be closes point or set number if points in total. In the end it is possible save it again in xyz format. It is also good if you have more files and you need to merge them together. Cutting and planty of other options.

Good luck

Learn and get certified!