BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

How do you make minor changes to the 2D symbol of an object?

SimpleTwig
Participant
When I open an object I made (a title block) (FileMenu>File>Libraries and Objects>Open Object) when I click on '2D View' I see my title block...

Why can't I click on the arrow cursor, add hot spots, change some lines, etc. What am I doing wrong (as one could make basic modifications in earlier versions of AC)?
SimpleTwig
AC17 on Mac OS 10.7.5
Processor: 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7,
RAM: 16GB 1333MHz DDR3
7 REPLIES 7
Erich
Contributor
You need to click on the 2D symbol option.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
SimpleTwig
Participant
Okay, so if I interpret what you're saying…

…clicking on '2D Symbol' brings up a blank window. First click on '2D View' to see your object, then command-a (select all), copy and paste your title block over to the '2D Symbol' in order to edit the 2D object using some of the basic AC tools…

…and, don't forget to change the scale to the scale you'll be using, like 3/8"=1'-0" so that the text/font sizes can be set to the scale of the drawing.

Does that sound right?

Thanks Erich for the help.
SimpleTwig
AC17 on Mac OS 10.7.5
Barry Kelly
Not quite.
The 2D View is what you see based on the 2D Script.
You can't edit the 2D View (as you have found) but you can edit the script if you know what you are doing with GDL.

The 2D Symbol is what you would see if there was no 2D Script and you can edit the 2D Symbol with the standard drawing tools.

What you have done by copy & paste is fine but you will now need to delete or better still comment out the 2D Script.
Highlight all of the script and then press the ! button to comment out each line.
They will now be ignored.
Effectively if there is no script then what you have in the 2D Symbol window is what you will see in your object.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
SimpleTwig
Participant
Thanks Barry Kelly,

we tried but it reverted back to the original w/ the 2D script in tact. We saved the object and removed the 2D script like you mentioned, but there was also some 3D script so we will try again removing all script.

It appeared to work initially as we were able to change lines, but adding hot spots triggered the loss of changed and the reverting back to the original. We'll update if we're successful, or if you have any other suggestions that would be great and very helpful.

Thanks again for the help!
SimpleTwig
AC17 on Mac OS 10.7.5
Barry Kelly
SimpleTwig wrote:
we tried but it reverted back to the original w/ the 2D script in tact.
Any chance that you have two objects - one in your loaded library and the other in your embedded library?
Maybe you are editing one but placing the other.

Just select the object and press CTRL + SHIFT + O (in Windows OS) to open it and then when you save it should go back to where ever it was opened from.

The 2D script should be completely empty.

!or it should look
!like this with
!exclamation marks
!in front of every line.

Then it will use whatever you have drawn in the 2D Symbol window.
I'm not sure why you have anything in the 3D script but if it is just a 2D title block you should be able to comment that out too.
I like to comment out the lines rather than delete them so if you ever do want them back just un-comment them.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
SimpleTwig
Participant
Hi Barry Kelly,

Thanks for the info. We've been working on your suggestion once we were able to devote some time to this issue.

You're right about the exclamation point, it appears to work. We also did it for the 3D script.

We can now edit the title block object and it appears to save.

Checking the embedded library to make sure it wasn't referencing a previous title block (File Menu>Libraries and Objects>Library Manager, highlighting 'Embedded Library' and click on the info button) there are no objects in the embedded library.

---
PLOTTING SCALE:
Now it appears I have another issue regarding plotting scale...

If I draw my title block to plot at 24"x36", leaving a 1/2" margin between the edge of the page and the drawn items on the page, with Hot Spots in the actual corners of the page, instead of being able to select 1:32 which is the scale for a drawing at 3/8"=1'-0", it defaults to 1:34 thus changing the scale of the plot/drawing. (I can not manually change it to 1:32 or select 3/8"=1'-0". I've also set the Plot Setup to Architectural 'D' 24"x36".)

Do the hot spots in the corners need to be removed?
Is 1/2" enough room between the sheet edge and the title block drawing?

Thanks for the help.

~nbuccalo
SimpleTwig
AC17 on Mac OS 10.7.5
SimpleTwig
Participant
Hello,
We are still trying to plot at a correct scale. For some reason when we try to plot at a certain scale the plotter doesn't allow us to select the correct scale. (for example we are trying to plot at 1:32, and it only lets us put in 1:33 as the lowest value).

We tried changing the plotter, and this allowed us to plot at the correct scale. (we went from HP to Calcomp). However, when we went to plot in another document the Calcomp plotter presented the same issue, we were no longer able to select the correct scale. We then tried the plotter "Xerox" and this worked.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? It seems like selecting a different plotter resets the scales, or something. But I'm not sure why this would be.

-LGreer
SimpleTwig
AC17 on Mac OS 10.7.5
Learn and get certified!