Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How do you show walls on other floors?

rob2218
Enthusiast
Just curious...besides the 'creating a different viewmap for different ways to show walls".............how would you see walls which are on the 1st floor shown on the second floor if they only travel vertically "ON" the first floor?
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
15 REPLIES 15
rgarand
Booster
We do the same as Tim. This allows us to "grey out" the information below. Sure, you need to create a separate layer combo/view set, but this ultimately gives us more graphic flexibility. We have some layouts with multiple, greyed out views. For instance:

Main RCP over greyed out Furniture Plan over greyed out lighting plan (imported dwg from consultant) over greyed out mechanical plan (imported dwg from consultant)
Robert J. Garand
ArchiCAD USA 27-Build 5001 USA FULL
Windows 10 Prof (64 bit) - Intel i9-10920X CPU 3.50 GHz - 128 GB RAM - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000
Anonymous
Not applicable
I would like to know how to show walls on other floors without seeing the wall thickness. I would like only the outer perimeter line to show. Does anyone know how to achieve this graphic?
Barry Kelly
Unfortunately you will need to use lines, polylines or fills to show the single line.
Or if you floor slab happens to follow the building extent then you can set that to show on any storey and you have limited line type option in Option > Project Preferences > Legacy settings.
I think lines or fills are best - more control over how they look.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry,

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps this can be a function added to walls to only show single line outline on other stories. Wish list thing!
mendezarcediego
Booster
sinceV6 wrote:

This is a great discussion. Do you have any specific examples where you need this functionality? I just can't grasp the concept of a wall that only spans a certain amount of height of a story to be shown in an arbitrary number of views above (as in some you do, in some you don't)

If you ask me, I would change the whole paradigm. I wouldn't have stories as they exist right now (although the current workflow has proven quite useful from an organizational point of view); but I would rather have the building model as a whole and "model" the floor plane and cut plane (with any quirks and level differences it may have); kind of like the section tool, but in a horizontal plane.

But as it is right now (and it´s out of my hands to change it), I take what I have and make the best of it.

Best regards.
Great discussion, In my case I need to show only a few walls several stories below, why not the other walls? because if I do change the FPCPS to show several stories below, other walls might interfere visualy with the ones on the current floor plan (See attached screenshot).

Furthermore, Im currently trying to make all objects below the current story to have a Graphic Override that makes them grayed out, but this has proven particularly difficult to me. This is specially useful if I want to convey to my client those "soft" greyed-out elements are not part of that story but are visible below it without being to overwhelmingly strong.
AC26–5002 INT FULL/ Win 11 Pro 22621.1992 / Intel i9-13900KF 24C (8P-16E) 3.00 - 5.80 GHz / 64 GB 5600 MHz DDR5 / Nvidia RTX A4500 20GB, Dual 2560x1440.
Barry Kelly
Remember that you can overlay multiple drawings in a layout.
So you can create a view of one storey showing the walls you want with the Graphic override settings you want.
Then create another view of another storey, again showing what you want with he GO you want.

Then in the layouts you add both of these views as drawings and overlay them on each other.
This way you can build up a plan view of what you want.

If you want to see this in the Archicad plan, you can use the trace reference.
For a single storey reference just that storey view, if you want multiple storeys involved, set it up on the layout as above and reference that layout in the Archicad plan.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11