Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How should I do curbs?

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor

Hi,

I've created a curbs by using a complex profile and a custom linetype. First of all it works in 3D but the 2D is not being friendly. Basically I have a curbs section I pasted into a complex profile. I want different line types on the different sides of the curb to indicate which side is which. Therefore i created a special line type with a hotspot offset. You can see everything in the vid. If you have any other suggestion I'm happy to listen :).

And yes I want it in 3D 🙂

https://youtu.be/dU2X6LIwRlA

Br,

Mats

AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
14 REPLIES 14

Hello Mats_Knutsson,

Did you try to model it by pushing space bar before cliking on your guide line ?

Did you try to model it with beam to be able to modify altimetries ?

Did you try to modify it with railing tool ?

Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
4dProof
Advisor

I use meshes for curbs, but you can also do them with walls, slabs, or railings, depending on exact site conditions and design needs.

BIM solutions and trouble shooting (self proclaimed) expert. Using Archicad 26 5002 US on Mac OS 11.5.2

Salut Christophe,

1 Magic wand at 1.38

2 I didn't. Focussing on accurate 2D appearanceand 3D length.

3 I haven't managed to get a solid line along one side of the rail and dashed on the other side with the railing tool. And I need to draw the curb along a side...

If the wall tool had the option of different line types for reference line and the other line...

AC 25 SWE Full

Hi,

I need accurate 2D and quantity. I have no probs modeling nice 3D curbs but that's actually not the most important part. I'm creating a template for our landscapers and they need as good as or better compared to what they can do with their Autocad plugin.

AC 25 SWE Full

Gerry Leonor
Advisor

i found that creating curbs using the beam tool with a complex profile is fine for simple flat sites. if you need some change of elevation, angled beams do OK too. where it gets tricky, is when you have one end of beam curb that's lower, the other end is higher AND it's a curve. i found that you can't have curved angled beams higher at one end than the other. maybe a morph tool using the same complex profile will work -- i haven't tried it yet.

with regards to your video question, after you've drawn the first straight curb, instead of clicking the button in the pet palette for a curve, keep drawing the straight curb for both curves for now. re-select the beams, then edit them to be curves. (shared video below. i hope it works)

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AgnwiRVSv3c_mMReHDxzEmhT8cOsNw

AC25 | Win10 | 64 bit | 16Gb RAM |Intel i7 8700 @ 3.20Ghz

come join our unofficial Discord server
https://discord.gg/XGHjyvutt8
Djordje
Ace

For me, railings work best

Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen

I haven't managed to trick the railing to show a solid line along one side and a dashed line along the other side...!?

AC 25 SWE Full

Djordje
Ace

Hmmm... yes, it does require some playing with the representation settings and what is shown where... I separated the part above ground into "toprail", the foundation into "handrail", etc...

It is probably easiest to do only for the modeling with the morphs (hint: for closed outline, ALWAYS join at the middle of the straight portion) but the quantities come out waaaay better with the railing.

Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen

yes I know I can do like that but I prefer the tool to work as it should. It's a bug afaik.

AC 25 SWE Full