BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to add grove line in Wall

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear Friends,
I am working on a project with intensive detail. I need to add groove lines in each and every exterior wall. (See Fig 1 & 2) . This groove line is Cement-Sand Plaster.
I attached two screenshots for 2D Autocad drawing & Render.
I am planning to model the whole building with a composite profile ( excluding exterior groove/ plaster). Then, I will wrap the exterior with another complex profile to add the groove/plaster)

I need to know what would be the best way to do this kind of detail? Is this the right way to do this?
Please let me know ur idea/suggestion regarding this issue.

Sincerely
Avi Shiplu
11 REPLIES 11
vistasp
Advisor
You are likely to add a lot of polygons to your model, Avi!

The simplest thing would be a texture that closely mimics the grooves, although it might not give you the level of realism you're looking for.

Apart from complex profiles, have a look at Jared's "strong air" trick, and see if it works for you.
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |
Lingwisyer
Guru
If your texture includes Normals, the realism will be up there without the performance hit.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
One easy way is to take an elevation view, draw a truss with lines, then use Trussmaker to draw a truss with 1"
x 1/2" members (or whatever your equivalent is) . After it's drawn you can SEO out the grooves. Drawing beams and columns can also work, after which you SEO out the grooves.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
David Shorter
Advisor
Model the wall as you would construct it.
Use a complex profile including the groves as this will work in elevation.
On this size of building the extra polygons will not slow model significantly
Archicad 4.1 to 27 Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
Model the wall as you would construct it.
Use a complex profile including the groves as this will work in elevation.
On this size of building the extra polygons will not slow model significantlygrove.png
Dear David,
I know how to model this profile using a 'complex profile' but I am more concerned with the graphical representation. There is are two line types in a profile (see fig-1).
The outer line is bold and the inner lines/groove lines are lighter. Can you please suggest how can I achieve this graphical representation.

Sincerely
Avi Shiplu
David Shorter
Advisor
One way do this is to manually by outline the elements at the front using the Line Tool.
This is a convention in manual drafting to show the elements at the front but is difficult Archicad.
My first option is to build the wall (as above)but unfortunately using the 'outline' option also applies the outline pen to all the grooves.
The alternative is to create a hatch pattern to show the grooves (and a matching texture) and use this as the Surface for the wall. In this way you can set the outline pen the a thick pen and the will not affect the groove.
The result is as follows:-

Hope this helps
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone
Carstenem
Expert
This is s abit of an older video tutorial of mine but still an option )

Cheers Carsten
Carsten
www.asmtechbase.com
https://www.youtube.com/asmtechbase

AC 3 to 26 -Windows 7 - 24GB - 8core 4.4Ghz
David Shorter
Advisor
Hi Carsten
How do you show a thicker pen around the projecting part od the elevation.?
Long time no see!!!
D
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone
Carstenem
Expert
Hey David, yes VERY long time no see !
YOU asking me a question on how to represent something in 2D? lol Last time I had to think about this was probably over 20 years

I think unless you draw an extra line around in the Elevation it is not gonna work as the pen thickness of walls are still applied to window openings?

Tell me how it is done.
Carsten
www.asmtechbase.com
https://www.youtube.com/asmtechbase

AC 3 to 26 -Windows 7 - 24GB - 8core 4.4Ghz
Learn and get certified!