BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to apply different surface materials to different parts of one whole slab?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Do i have to split? Im sure there are different ways to do this, but wanted to ask what the most efficient way of doing this is.
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
I model the floor structure (and other common parts) in a single slab. Then I model floor finishes individually as slabs. For example: All the bedrooms floor finishes can be a single composite slab, and walls with proper Building Material priority will "cut" the floor finishes automatically.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Braza wrote:
I model the floor structure (and other common parts) in a single slab. Then I model floor finishes individually as slabs. For example: All the bedrooms floor finishes can be a single composite slab, and walls with proper Building Material priority will "cut" the floor finishes automatically.
I dont understand..
runxel
Legend
Hishiiro wrote:

I dont understand..
Typically you will model 2 floors: the continuous, load-bearing slab, and slabs which will represent the finishes, like parquet.
What Braza is doing: he doesn't actually model these finishes for every room, but he relies on the building material priorities, which determine what happens if two elements meet and occupy the same space. The material with the higher priority will take precedence over the other one. Normally things like finishes have a very low priority, thus the walls will cut away those slabs. Hope this clears it up a bit.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Anonymous
Not applicable
runxel wrote:
Hishiiro wrote:

I dont understand..
Typically you will model 2 floors: the continuous, load-bearing slab, and slabs which will represent the finishes, like parquet.
What Braza is doing: he doesn't actually model these finishes for every room, but he relies on the building material priorities, which determine what happens if two elements meet and occupy the same space. The material with the higher priority will take precedence over the other one. Normally things like finishes have a very low priority, thus the walls will cut away those slabs. Hope this clears it up a bit.
Sorry. Im very very new. i have gone through the yt tutorials but im currently trying to model my project in archicad which i did in sketchup before.

So i make the second floor also with the slab tool after selecting composite? and draw it on top of the other slab?? how do i change the thickness? ..
Anonymous
Not applicable
Exactly runxel. Thanks.
Hishiiro wrote:
So i make the second floor also with the slab tool after selecting composite? and draw it on top of the other slab?? how do i change the thickness? ..
You model two composite slabs, one on top of the other (I put a Structural/Slab part in a structural layer, and the floor finish in an Architecture/Floor layer. Each composite slab can be set with individual skins that may be "Core", "Finish" or "Other" (Check it in the Composite Dialog box). This way you can also visualize only the core part of your slabs.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Braza wrote:
Exactly runxel. Thanks.
Hishiiro wrote:
You model two composite slabs, one on top of the other (I put a Structural/Slab part in a structural layer, and the floor finish in an Architecture/Floor layer. Each composite slab can be set with individual skins that may be "Core", "Finish" or "Other" (Check it in the Composite Dialog box). This way you can also visualize only the core part of your slabs.
So i just put a composite floor like this?
Anonymous
Not applicable
And also, how do i make the flooring be seen between the door frame.
Learn and get certified!