BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

How to apply thickness to a morph face

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,
I made a curved morph face (roof sheet), then how to give a thickness?
- If I copy a former morph down then subtract it, t is not an even thickness
- if by extruding, the segmented sub-faces, there will be confilcts because the extruded direction is different (not just vertical)

Regards
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Podolsky
Ace
This function does not exist in ArchiCAD. You need to use external 3D modeller. You can try Blender, as it's free of charge. The best way to exchange 3D data with Blender is DAE file format. It keeps textures and scale.

In Blender you can use modifier "Solidify".

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Solution
Podolsky
Ace
This function does not exist in ArchiCAD. You need to use external 3D modeller. You can try Blender, as it's free of charge. The best way to exchange 3D data with Blender is DAE file format. It keeps textures and scale.

In Blender you can use modifier "Solidify".
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I can imagine you could probably use the Archicad-Grasshopper Connection as well: take the Morph surface, use the "Deconstruct" Archicad Node in Grasshopper to get its geometry, give it thickness, make a solid body out of it, and then create a new Morph based on that using the Archicad Nodes in Grasshopper.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Jeff Galbraith
Advocate
Is there any particular reason this function does not exist? It has always seemed like a missing feature frankly. I'm not interested in buying another software program and paying staff to figure out how to use it, and then dealing with updating imported geometry throughout design development...especially for something this basic.
Jeff G

Archicad 27 USA (full), Macbook Pro (16-inch 2023, M3 MAX, 128 GB RAM)
DGSketcher
Legend
Jeff wrote:
Is there any particular reason this function does not exist? It has always seemed like a missing feature frankly. I'm not interested in buying another software program and paying staff to figure out how to use it, and then dealing with updating imported geometry throughout design development...especially for something this basic.
+1 There is Mesh to Roof in the Goodies, but that isn't a "supported" tool. Applying a thickness to a Morph Face and also having it as an option in the Mesh tool would be good. I assume the Mesh tool would probably do a better job of maintaining the thickness, whereas a Morph can be freely edited once created. Any chance of making this a wish?
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Hmooslechner
Rockstar
Maybe this could be interesting for You too at this topic: https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=70631
AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia
Learn and get certified!