BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

How to change the default library settings for objects?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, i'm having an issue with a client's ArchiCAD in which all of the objects from his default Archicad Library are set with the wrong 2D representation (Contour Pen and Fill). In that way, everytime he inserts an object, he has to enter its settings and manually change Contour Pen and Fill. It is very annoying. I can't find a way to change this preset configuration, and even if I did, I'm afraid I would have to manually change it for every object from his library. I have worked with other libraries (even when using default Archicad Library) before in which the 2D representation would be already set the way I want it, but I don't have access to those anymore. Does anybody know how to change that setting? Thanks.uc browser shareit appvn
5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly
You could change each object and re-save them, but that is not what you want to do.
Instead you want to alter you pen sets to match the objects.
You will also need to check (alter) other attributes such as fills, surfaces, building materials.

You may want to look at using the default Archicad template, as this will be set up with the correct attributes to match the default library.

You could also use the attribute manager to bring the attributes from the template into you client’s job or template.
Word of warning, you will need to know what you are doing if you want to do this properly.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
The only way of changing objects default specs is opening them change their values and save it again.
You can do it manually (one by one), which is a tedious task, or you can do it using GDL/xml tools that change chunks of objects at a time... But this is a very risky operation that must be done by very experienced BIM managers.

In alternative you can always start saving your own favorites with the desired specs.

Hope that helps.
Anonymous
Not applicable
You can set a graphic override that will put all custom settings on automatically based on the layer the objects are on. Then save the override so it's active on all floor plan views that you want to see them on. https://jiofilocalhtml.run https://forpc.onl
Barry Kelly
xpacefive wrote:
You can set a graphic override that will put all custom settings on automatically based on the layer the objects are on. Then save the override so it's active on all floor plan views that you want to see them on. https://jiofilocalhtml.run https://forpc.onl

Just be aware that graphic overrides will affect the entire object.
You can not just override one fill type or pen colour.
You will also lose control of all of the individual settings in the object itself (as you have chosen to override them).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Actually I have two solutions beside the member that have already mentioned the favourite

Old school method: Let him create an office template with every a copy of every object in it's plan view (order is not important) saved with the desired settings. And when ever s/he starts a new project, just open that one, the rest will be just copy and past, or using the seringe and eye dropper.

GDL programming: If your client hires my services, I can create custom objects for your client that he will be able to set all his objects (ArchiCAD native and custom office object) from one graphical interface.
Learn and get certified!