BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to change the wall line weight

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

It is really frustrating me. Could someone help me and give me direction where can I change the line weight? Thanks

I have uploaded the image:

red - want to change the line weight

green - was able to change it.

Steps I undertook to try to change it:
1. Element Atributes
2. Pens & Colors
3. Tried to change the weight line there fail.

imgur.com/XtJJ6Uy
3 REPLIES 3
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Student192:

You should use Pens & Colors only to change globally the line weight and/or color for a particular pen number. For the particular Wall pen in your screen shot, you should check the Composite Structure's Settings (you can select the Wall, right-click, and select Edit Selected Composite... from the context menu) to see which pen number is assigned to the outside contours. There are many black pens in your Pen Set, you may need to assign a different pen number to the Composite rather than editing the Pen Set itself.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

Appreciate the response. I was able to change it. I wanted to change all the heavy line weights globally, so windows, doors and walls have lighter lines.

For example, if I would place 30 walls with windows, all the walls have thick line weight, I do not want to select all of them manually and then change it, but rather change it globally.

I can change the options before i place the wall but in case I would forget to change it how can I do that globally?

Thanks.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Student192:

Changing the pen set, so that pens are changed globally, can lead to unexpected results, as you don't know how the pens are used in every element in the project. Also, you would need to check the default settings for every Object, Door and Window, and each one can have many pen settings.

In your example, if you have 30 walls to alter, you can view all walls in the 3D Window (if the walls are on multiple floors, otherwise you can use the 2D Window), open the Find & Select... palette, and you will able to add Criteria(s) so only the walls you want to alter are selected. This is a very powerful tool for making selections. Once a wall has the correct settings, you can alt/option click on that element to make it the default settings for that tool.

Thanks for adding the signature.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Learn and get certified!