BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to cut elevation @ building line without cutting roof overhang

Anonymous
Not applicable
As far as I am aware you cannot have an elevation marker that is stepped in the vertical plane.

I have a pretty standard rectilinear building with 900mm roof overhangs. Standard convention is cutting the elevation at the building line, which means the roof overhang is in section but messes up the graphic appearance as I want the roof overhang to be in elevation.

How do you guys deal with this issue?
3 REPLIES 3
Barry Kelly
benjamin_chan wrote:
As far as I am aware you cannot have an elevation marker that is stepped in the vertical plane.
No you can't.

Is there any reason why you can't have the elevation in front of the roof line?
Will it really look any different to having it exactly on the wall (apart from the roof in section of course)?
The only time I can think you will see a difference is if the ground is dramatically sloping.

If you really, really wanted to you could create 2 elevations.
One at the wall up to the roof height and one at the roof that starts at roof height.
Then place the 2 vies on a layout page and join them together.
But this may not work 100% of the time.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes correct - the ground line is sloping so it's important I capture the ground line @ the building line, and not at the roof line. What I guess I'll do is cut the elevation at the building line and use 2D fills and lines to mask out the cut roof component and draw it manually
Barry Kelly
I would think it would be easier to fix up the ground line with lines and fills.
You could set it at the wall and then trace the ground with lines and then pull it back to show the roof edge.
Then mask the ground to match the lines if need be.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!