Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to draw a BIM compatible Irregular shape- column, beam & lintel

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear Archicad User
I am using ArchiCAD for the last 5 months to produce Architectural Construction Drawing. The experience was really good. The question arises when I am planning to send the model to a structural engineer. I need to be sure My model is good enough to integrate the structural model. What is the best practice to make this model BIM compatible? I mean, anyone using the BIM platform can use my model without any trouble.

I need to draw an irregular column, beam, and lintel. ( see attachment-1). Here is my method to do these?
1. For the column-
It has a capital on top ( see attachment-2).
I drew this using 2 columns( one top of another ).
2. For the Beam -
I used 3 beams ( see attachment-3).
3 For the Lintel or sunshade (for Door Window) -
I want to use a complex wall profile. ( see attachment-4).

I need to be sure these modeling methods are for irregular shapes is BIM compatible

Sincerely
Avi
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
In version 23, your beams and columns can all be one element with multiple segments.
Have a look a segmented beams and columns.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
bouhmidage
Advisor
Like barry said, archicad 23 solves the problem,
But, i want to ask about something i didn't test it before, when exporting segmented beams and columns as IFC, to structural engeneer, and they are too comple, ( complex profiles with modifiers, custom surface overrides, etc... they export correctly to revit ? and when the engeneer finishes his work, do they come back correct like they are medeleed in the beginning ?
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
bouhmidage,

I think they should go through to Revit just fine because if you export geometries as BREP the geometry will be correct. Avishiplu, because of this, I would suggest that you model these Beams and Columns as multi-segment Beams/Columns and do not model them out of multiple elements. Then Revit person will see that the segments belong to the same element.

bouhmidage,

If I understand correctly you ask whether if you export multi-segment Beams/Columns as IFC, open them in Revit, then export the file from Revit as IFC and open that in Archicad, will those Beams/Columns come in as multi-segmented parametric elements?
The answer is no, and this should not be expected. File formats are so different that it is impossible to exchange geometry without data loss. This is the holy girl that will probably never happen.

The recommended workflow that works very well is to use IFC files received from others only as Reference Models and model everything that belongs to you in your own application. So if avishiplu exports his Beams and Columns as IFC, the Revit using engineer should import that, use it as a Reference, but still model the structural elements in Revit to create the structural model. Then he can export his structural model as IFC, which avishiplu can import into Archicad and use as a Reference Model.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
bouhmidage
Advisor
LaszloNagy wrote:
If I understand correctly you ask whether if you export multi-segment Beams/Columns as IFC, open them in Revit, then export the file from Revit as IFC and open that in Archicad, will those Beams/Columns come in as multi-segmented parametric elements?
The answer is no, and this should not be expected. File formats are so different that it is impossible to exchange geometry without data loss. This is the holy girl that will probably never happen.

The recommended workflow that works very well is to use IFC files received from others only as Reference Models and model everything that belongs to you in your own application. So if avishiplu exports his Beams and Columns as IFC, the Revit using engineer should import that, use it as a Reference, but still model the structural elements in Revit to create the structural model. Then he can export his structural model as IFC, which avishiplu can import into Archicad and use as a Reference Model.
Yes, your answer was about what i'm searching exactly,
So, IFC serves as a reference, and this seems to be logic, since structural engeneer won't model on archicad and calculate on revit, he would choose tekla for exemple,
And an Architect working on archicad which receives a strcutural model from frvit as IFC he will use it to check if there is some mistakes, or clashes, that's it ,
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!