BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

How to edit objects within BIM Server Library?

Robert Nichols
Advocate
Is there a clear protocol for editing the code of an object within a BIM Server Library? I have made some changes to an object within office library (custom objects, shared among all projects), and for the life of me I can't figure out how the changes should be propagated to the other users. Also, it appears the changes don't propagate back to the original library path (used to create the BIM Server'ed instance of the library), so if somehow I could figure out how to revise an object within the library instance on the server, if I were to "update" that server lib with respect to its original instance using the "Manage BIM Server Libraries" dialog, I would overwrite the new work. Right?

I think I know the answer (only make such edits in to the original lib object using a separate non-TW file, then refresh server lib), but that seems like so many obstacles between me and a simple edit to a lib object. I'm a heavy GDL user so this difficulty is...difficult!

Furthermore, why does the GDL edit environment seem to proclaim arbitrarily that objects are Read-Only? And what does it mean to reserve an object? A library?

Still Confused,

Robert
Mac Studio, 32gb ram, ArchiCAD v26 (Apple Silicon) MacOS 13
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I think you are right - you should only edit the original (local) library objects and then refresh the BIM server libraries from that origin.

If you open an object from a BIM server library then you are editing just a mirror copy object. That is overwritten the next time you update the BIM library. Unless you manage it to the local library by hand first.

There should be a 'Sync'-button which would keep the latest objects in both sources.
Learn and get certified!