BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to join a straight wall to a complex wall

Anonymous
Not applicable
[img]

Above is an image showing the area where I need to have the straight wall join the wall of the sphere. Please note that the outside of the sphere is recognized as a wall and not a shell. At first I thought of using the "merge" function but AC won't let me do that. I tried extending the wall through the sphere and out the other side and then trim the straight wall but all that did was remove the wall back to where I started. I would have thought that AC would know where the sphere's surface is and thus automatically trim the straight wall but that doesn't seem to be the case. The only other thought I have right now is to trim the end of the straight wall so that it has a curve that matches the curve of the sphere and then moving it so it butts up against the sphere and then stretch the other end to mate with the round vertical wall. Any suggestion please.
Thanks

DNA Building.jpg
14 REPLIES 14
Barry Kelly
Have you tried Solid Element Operation?

I am not sure it will work with the curved complex profile walls but you could place a sphere object in the same location in its own layer, SEO the straight wall and hide the sphere by turning the layer off.
You will have to touch up your plan with lines and fills as the SEO does not show on plan.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Or, you probably could make these connecting walls with the shell tool. Depending on what you want to achieve in the final design you could also use the curtain wall tool.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the input. I am beginning to think that what I want to do is not possible in AC. The suggestion of using the shell tool is not acceptable as it does not allow for the placement of windows, doors and openings in it, the outside thickness must be a "wall" for that. So the shell option is not an option. Thanks again.
Anonymous
Not applicable
DrWho wrote:
Thanks for the input. I am beginning to think that what I want to do is not possible in AC. The suggestion of using the shell tool is not acceptable as it does not allow for the placement of windows, doors and openings in it, the outside thickness must be a "wall" for that. So the shell option is not an option. Thanks again.
Actually there is a way to add windows and doors to a shell, check in one of my tips. Even though is a bit limited, but it could work for what you want.
Barry Kelly
I was just having a bit of a play out of interest.
The spherical (complex profile) wall and straight wall will trim automatically (based on building materials) but the complex profile wall does not cut all the way through the straight wall for some reason.
And of course the sphere is not solid so it does not cut the inner portion at all.

Barry
Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly
Adding a solid spherical object (and hiding that layer) will cut the wall entirely when used with Solid Element Operation.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Barry and others:
FYI, the wall of the sphere is the same material as the straight wall. As for creating a solid and then forcing it to disappear doesn't seem to make sense as I would think you would want it to show. Or am I misunderstanding what you are trying to say. It should be known that AC won't allow me to merge the two walls or combine the sphere with one of the straight walls. The only solution I can see right now is to create the sphere and the walls in another CAD package like Rhino or 3D CAD. I know I could create the walls and the sphere such that everything fits together in my 3D CAD package and then export it in the .3ds file format which I can then merge into my AC building file or library. The problem with that is that I can't (don't know how) designate the walls as "walls" in AC. That means I cannot just drop in windows, doors or openings into the objects. Still looking for an AC only solution.
Barry Kelly
If the walls are the same materials then they will trim each other but only the bits that touch.
The same as two straight walls that pass through each other as in a cross, only the connecting part trims.

It won't cut the portion out inside the spherical walls if that is what you are trying to achieve.

That is when you need the sphere object and SEO to cut that bit of wall away.
Then hide the layer with the object so the SEO still works but you can't see the sphere because you don't want to see it but it must be there for the SEO to work.
You will still need your spherical complex profile walls.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Barry:
Thanks for the help and I will give the SEO a try but actually all I wanted was for AC to extend and cut the vertical wall at the outside edge of the sphere. I find it odd that when on tries to extend the vertical wall into the sphere that it only extends to the closest edge of the sphere. It's like AC doesn't really know the boundary of the complex wall and as such cannot combine with it. Below is a picture of what I was trying to do. It shows the original AC attempt and a model that I created in my 3D solid CAD pkg, exported as .3ds and then imported into AC. That took only 10 minutes to create and is for show as to what I want to do. The unfortunate part is that while what I imported is a GDL object it doesn't allow me to place windows, doors or openings into it. I'm hoping GS will come up with a solution that will solve this issue without having to create something that is later hidden.
Learn and get certified!